OpenStack DefCore Committee has established the principles and first artifacts required for vendors using the OpenStack trademark. Over the next release cycle, we will be applying these to the Icehouse and Juno releases. Rob will be doing two sessions about DefCore next week (will be recorded): Tues Dec 16 at 9:45 am PST- OpenStack Podcast #14 with Jeff Dickey and Thurs Dec 18 at 9:00 am PST – Online Meetup about DefCore with Rafael Knuth.
OpenStack is a living product – and because it is community driven – changes are being proposed almost constantly. The specifications approved in each project are published on http://specs.openstack.org as html pages and RSS feeds. Maish Saidel-Keesing compiled an OPML file with all the current projects that you can add to your favorite RSS reader.
Great news for the whole OpenStack community: OpenStack Korea User Group received “The community of the Year” award from Korea Open Source Software Association. Congratulations to all for the amazing work you’ve been doing all these years. The Korean user group doesn’t rest on their laurels and they’re busy organizing the OpenStack Day Korea 2015: check the sponsorship opportunities.
Recently, our Q&A site, Ask OpenStack passed an important milestone – more than 10,000 questions. Since it was launched by community manager Stefano Maffulli with the help of our tame AskBot developer Evgeny Fadeev early last year, we’ve had great support from our entire community – users and vendor support staff alike getting on there and helping each other out. Everybody can give answers: read how to give answers and head out to answer questions on Ask OpenStack.
- Nova Specs for Kilo and live updates for Nova review day
- Proposal for Neutron core and vendor code decomposition [approved and merged]
- Looking for ten individuals to participate in a usability study sponsored by the Horizon team
- [neutron] FYI: VPNaaS Sub-team meeting setup…
Deadlines and Development Priorities
- Neutron Spec Approval Deadline (SAD): Monday 12-15-2014. Spec reviews dashboard
- If you have specs pending, stay very vigilant and react fast to comments from reviewers.
- [neutron] Services are now split out and neutron is open for commits!
- [nova] Kilo Project Priorities
- Neutron Priorities for Kilo
- [Nova] Mid-cycle meetup details for kilo
Security Advisories and Notices
- Horizon denial of service attack through login page (CVE-2014-8124)
- Neutron DoS through invalid DNS configuration (CVE-2014-7821) ERRATA 1
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Michelle Yakura: Tips on Overcoming Skeptics and Other Obstacles to Production OpenStack Clouds
- By Sébastien Han: DevStack and remote Ceph cluster
- By Lars Kellogg-Stedman: Cloud-init and the case of the changing hostname
- By Steve Dake: Isn’t it Atomic on OpenStack Ironic, don’t you think?
- By Sébastien Han: OpenStack: import existing Ceph volumes in Cinder
- By Craige McWhirter: Managing KVM Console Logs for Nova
- By Ryan Hefner: Using Packstack to install Cinder with NetApp Storage Backends
Reports from Previous Events
- Dec 17, 2014 Building Cloud with OpenStack Islamabad, PK
- Dec 18, 2014 Is OpenStack ready for Enterprises? New York, New York, US
- Jan 15, 2015 Deep Dive into Trove Austin, Texas, US
- Feb 19 – 20, 2015 World Techies Forum Mumbai, Maharashtra, IN
- Apr 13 – 14, 2015 OpenStack Live Santa Clara, CA, US
- May 18 – 22, 2015 OpenStack Summit May 2015 Vancouver, BC
- Sep 17, 2015 OpenStack Benelux Conference 2015 Bussum, NL
- Announcing the openstack ansible deployment repo
- [neutron] mid-cycle update
- [OpenStackClient] OSC Release 1.0.1
- Fedora 21 Cloud Images Available Today
- Ironic + Crowbar: United in Vision, Complementary in Approach
- The EMC Federation Joins the OpenStack Foundation
- Jumpgate: SoftLayer’s free library for OpenStack cloud compatibility
- Third-party CI documentation WG forming
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Keystone: Users with underscore do not show up in user-list
- RDO Icehouse with ceph – libvirt error
- Add new ML2 Driver without needing to release all of neutron
- External Ip not working Until Neutron server is restarted
- Add new server instance to existing load balancer pool in heat stack
- heat stack output-show return null
- How to repair a missing container in Swift
- LBaaS: lb-vip-create fails on device driver haproxy_ns
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
|Chris Gacsal||Ankur Rishi|
|Babu Shanmugam||Alger Wang|
|Abhishek G M||Tom Pollard|
|Bogun Dmitriy||Dan Ritchie|
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.