OpenStack’s next release will be called Liberty. While you might be thinking of the word liberty in terms of “freedom” (as in free beer or other things), the name comes from a village in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan.
OpenStack SDKs exist for several programming languages, including Python, Go, Ruby, and many more. For those who don’t wish to write code, users in the *nix world can use Curl at the command line to perform operations. What about Microsoft Windows administrators? Windows admins can use PowerShell and PoshStack”.
If you’ve checked out the OpenStack Documentation site recently, you may have noticed a new look. The refreshed design of the landing page is the beginning of an ongoing overhaul. The site is, however, open under construction and people are already applauding the refresh. The move to a simpler markup language will go a long way to helping OpenStack contributors work on the documentation that matters to them.
It is time for us to apply for slots for the annual Google Summer of Code event. Last year, we got a bunch of slots and had awesome projects. We are hoping this year we will get even more slots, uber cool projects etc. If you are interested – either as a mentor or as a participant, please feel free to add your name, project ideas to the wiki page.
The Road to Vancouver
- Applications for OpenStack Travel Support Program with Tips for getting a travel grant to the next OpenStack Summit
- Vancouver Summit Sponsorships Now Available
- Canada Visa Information
- Official Hotel Room Blocks
- Next batch of invites to Kilo contributors will be sent after a new milestone is released
- The Future of OpenStack’s EC2 APIs
- Lets keep our community open, lets fight for it
- What should openstack-specs review approval rules be ?
- The API WG mission statement
Deadlines and Development Priorities
- [cinder] Kilo Deadlines need to have a CI by end of K-3, March 19th 2015
Reports From Previous Events
- Big in Japan: OpenStack Days in Tokyo double in size
- OpenStack Day in Korea 2015: to infinity and beyond!
- “Kon-ni-chi-wa – Hello, Japan!” — OpenStack Days Tokyo 2015
Security Advisories and Notices
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Xav Paice: Creating OpenStack debs for everyday operators
- By Mehdi Abaakouk: Writing a Gnocchi storage driver for ceph
- By Jamie Lennox: Step-by-Step: Kerberized Keystone
- By Adam Young: Debugging OpenStack with rpdb
- By Lars Kellogg-Stedman: Installing nova-docker with devstack
- By Sébastien Han: OpenStack: perform consistent snapshots with Qemu Guest Agent
- By Sean Dague: how to use a devstack external plugin in gate testing
- By Clint Byrum: Firehose Email Reading Kit https://github.com/SpamapS/ferk
The 2015 events plan is now available on the Global Events Calendar wiki.
- Feb 13, 2015 Gnunify OpenStack Mini Conf Pune, Maharastra, IN
- Feb 18, 2015 First OpenStack BW Meetup Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, DE
- Feb 18, 2015 First OpenStack meetup in Stuttgart Stuttgart, DE
- Feb 18, 2015 OpenStack L.A. Meetup Pasadena, CA, US
- Feb 19 – 20, 2015 World Techies Forum Mumbai, Maharashtra, IN
- Mar 04, 2015 OpenStack Finland meetup Helsinki, Uusimaa, FI
- Mar 04, 2015 #CloudBeerGothenburg Gothenburg, SE
- Mar 04, 2015 Dallas OpenStack Meetup Plano, Texas, US
- Mar 05, 2015 9thOpenStackUGMeetup Zurich, Zurich, CH
- Mar 11 – 12, 2015 Cloud Expo Europe London, GB
- Mar 26, 2015 PDX OpenStack Hackathon Portland, OR, US
- Mar 26, 2015 #CloudBeerStockholm Stockholm, SE
- Apr 01, 2015 OpenStack Meetup DFW Frisco, Texas, US
- Apr 08 – 16, 2015 PyCon 2015 Montreal, Quebec, CA
- Apr 13 – 14, 2015 OpenStack Live Santa Clara, CA, US
- Apr 15, 2015 iX OpenStack Tag Köln, NRW, DE
- Apr 21 – 22, 2015 CONNECT 2015 Melbourne, Victoria, AU
- Apr 22 – 23, 2015 China SDNNFV Conference Beijing, CN
- May 05 – 07, 2015 CeBIT AU 2015 Sydney, NSW, AU
- May 18 – 22, 2015 OpenStack Summit May 2015 Vancouver, BC
- Jun 11, 2015 OpenStack DACH Day 2015 Berlin, DE
- Jul 20 – 24, 2015 OSCON 2015 Portland, OR, US
- Aug 10 – 13, 2015 Gartner Catalyst Conference San Diego, CA, US
- Sep 17, 2015 OpenStack Benelux Conference 2015 Bussum, NL
- Oct 04 – 08, 2015 Gartner SymposiumITxpo Orlando, FL, US
- Nov 15 – 20, 2015 Supercomputing 15 Austin, TX, US
- OpenStack-zh mailing list is live! Go sign up and let all the Chinese Community members know about it
- python-heatclient 0.3.0 released
- Rebase button enabled for all Gerrit users
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- How is OpenStack functionally different from vCenter?
- What is the difference between Nova metadata service and Heat metadata server?
- Installing Helion OpenStack with ESX -> where download “vCenter Proxy Appliance” & VCN Agent Appliance?
- Rootwrap – python – write to root only owned file
- Swift: custom 404 & 401 error pages?
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.