Recently OpenStack has been generating financial headlines with the acquisitions of OpenStack ecosystem startups eNovance, Metacloud, Cloudscaling and OpenStack veteran Mirantis raising $100M in venture capital this week. At the OpenStack Summit in Paris next week, we are launching a new track called “CloudFunding” where we will hear from startups that have been successful in attracting essential capital and ventures capitalists who are actively investing in OpenStack startups.
The Board of Directors approved the promotion of Lauren Sell to Vice President of Marketing and Community Services. Lauren has been instrumental in the growth of Openstack from the beginning. Thierry Carrez, who has managed the OpenStack releases from the beginning has taken on the role of Director of Engineering, and is building out a team of technical leaders. Be sure to check out our open positions if you’d like to join our team!
Food for thoughts from members of the Neutron community: they have started an exploration to improve the process by which we understand a core’s responsibilities, and also a process under which we can judge how cores are performing up to that standard. Join the conversation and give comments to Neutron’s PTL Kyle Mestery blog post.
What’s the connection between a dentist’s chair and OpenStack? Fascinating post by Patrik Eschle about the practical uses of the clouds we’re building.
The Road To Paris 2014 – Deadlines and Resources
Full access sold out! Only a few spots left for Keynotes and Expo Hall passes.
- The official Schedule for the Paris Summit
- The schedule for the Kilo Design Summit
- Travel Tips offered from OpenStack France User Group
Report from Events
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By James E. Blair: Simple Terminal Broadcasting
- By Jose Castro Leon and Marek Denis: Kerberos and Single Sign On with OpenStack
- By Joshua Hesketh: OpenStack infrastructure swift logs and performance
- By Rob Hirschfeld: Unicorn captured! Unpacking multi-node OpenStack Juno from ready state.
- By ernm: Setup a Kubernetes Cluster on OpenStack with Heat
- By Kyle Mestery: OpenDaylight and OpenStack: Now With Helium!
- By Florent Flament: Splitting Swift cluster
Security Advisories and Notices
- Nova VMware instance in resize state may leak (CVE-2014-8333)
- [OSSN 0039] Configuring OpenStack deployments to prevent POODLE attacks
- [OSSN 0025] Possible Glance image exposure via Swift
- Oct 25, 2014 Rakuten Technology Conference Tokyo, Japan
- Oct 27, 2014 Japan OpenStack User Group Meetup Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, JP
- Oct 30 – Nov 01, 2014 Open World Forum Paris, France
- Nov 03 – 07, 2014 OpenStack Summit November 2014 Paris, France
- Nov 05, 2014 OpenStack India meetup, Chennai chennai, tamil nadu, IN
- Nov 07, 2014 OpenStack mini-conf @osidays bangalore, karnataka, IN
- Nov 09 – 14, 2014 USENIX LISA Seattle, WA
- Nov 19, 2014 Overview Of TripleO New York, NY, US
- Nov 20, 2014 The Software-Defined Data Center Mountain View, CA, US
- Nov 20, 2014 Overview Of Trove Philadelphia, PA, US
- Dec 01, 2014 Japan OpenStack User Group Meetup Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, JP
- Dec 02 – 05, 2014 Gartner Data Center Conference Las Vegas, NV
- Apr 13 – 14, 2015 OpenStack Live Santa Clara, CA, US
- OpenStack Trainings and Certifications Available in Paris
- Whats New In Juno Q&A
- Free software hacker on open source telemetry project for OpenStack
- How OpenStack powers the research at CERN
- Release of python-keystoneclient 0.11.2
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Which instance has a certain IP address?
- Authentication failed when setting up two region openstack deployment using devstack
- Not following Juno configuration as documented in OpenSuse leads to working system
- WADLs to resolve URI to a “function” name in openstack api
- Does OpenStack dynamically scale or migrate instances when compute node becomes overloaded?
- config drive in iso9660 format shows up bus type as ide
- Launching Apache Tomcat inside VM takes up to 47 minutes
Welcome New Reviewers, Developers and Core Reviewers
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a