This is the fourth consecutive survey conducted by the User Committee prior to each Summit starting in April 2013 and the previous survey in Atlanta, May 2014. The goals of the survey are to generate insights based on a representative sample of OpenStack users, in order to better understand their organizational profiles, use cases and technology choices across different deployment stages and sizes. These insights are intended to provide feedback to the broader community, and to arm technical leaders and contributors with better data to make decisions.
The OpenStack Foundation brought 20 people to Paris for the Summit earlier this month, thanks to the grants offered by the Travel Support Program. We had 22 people accepted in the program from 11 different countries, spanning five continents. Four people traveled from Brazil, four from India, three from Europe and the rest were from South America, North America and South-east Asia. Of the selected recipients, two were unable to attend due to VISA timing issues, but we were excited to welcome the 20 attendees that were able to make the trip. Stay tuned for when we announce the applications for the Travel Support Applications for the May Summit in Vancouver.
The idea about what the mascot would be was easy because the RAX guys put “bear metal” in their presentation and that totally rocks! So Lucas Alvares Gomes drew a bear.
- Converging in the project structure reform
- Self-Exposure: Hidden Influencers become OpenStack Product Managers
- Proposal to split Neutron into separate repositories
- Distributed group management and locking in Python with tooz
- Do I need OpenStack if I use Docker?
- Product Management lies dreaming …
- The OpenStack Big Tent and Magnum
- [Neutron] Stale patches
- Organizational changes to support stable branches
- Neutron Spec Proposal Deadline (SPD): Monday 12-8-2014
- Neutron Spec Approval Deadline (SAD): Monday 12-15-2014
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Craige McWhirter: Deleting Root Volumes Attached to Non-Existent Instances
- By Adam Young: Dynamic Policy in Keystone and Minimal Token Size
- By Lars Kellogg-Stedman: Creating a Windows image for OpenStack
- By Daniel P. Berrangé: Faster rebuilds for python virtualenv trees
- By Sylvain Bauza: How to compare 2 patchsets in Gerrit ?
Security Advisories and Notices
Reports from Previous Events
- Dec 01, 2014 Japan OpenStack User Group Meetup Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, JP
- Dec 02 – 05, 2014 Gartner Data Center Conference Las Vegas, NV
- Dec 02, 2014 With or without OpenStack? Herstal, BE
- Dec 09, 2014 Stockholm OpenStack Meetup Stockholm, Sweden
- Dec 09 – 11, 2014 Bitex 2014 Bahrain, BH
- Dec 11 – 12, 2014 Okinawa Open Days 2014 Naha, Okinawa, JP
- Apr 13 – 14, 2015 OpenStack Live Santa Clara, CA, US
- May 18 – 22, 2015 OpenStack Summit May 2015 Vancouver, BC
- Sep 17, 2015 OpenStack Benelux Conference 2015 Bussum, NL
- What’s coming in Kilo for Glance, Zaqar and Oslo?
- Swift Browser 0.2.0 released
- Build Rich Network Services With OpenStack’s Neutron API
- Empowering OpenStack Cloud Storage: OpenStack Juno Release Storage Overview
- NetApp in Paris – OpenStack Summit Recap
- OpenStack Summit Paris: Federated Clouds Becoming A Reality [Video]
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- What’s the best way of creating NGINX server block on floating ip allocation?
- How to increase the number of my CPU, RAM and STORAGE in my OpenStack allinone node?
- How can Juno be installed on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise)?
- Adding an extra custom property to the OpenStack API implementation
- Integrating OpenStack L3 agent to forward L3 calls (router and FIP) to OpenDaylight
- Floating IP being assigned to wrong interface
- Forwarding between two instances via shorewall over VXLAN
Welcome New Reviewers, Developers and Core Reviewers
Welcome Michael McCune and Sergey Reshetniak to sahara-core, Steve Heyman, Juan Antonio Osorio Robles and Steve Heyman for barbican-core.
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.