We’re continuing the Open Source Ecosystem Design Sessions at the OpenStack Summit Paris (Nov 3-7, 2014). It’s an opportunity to foster the projects and communities that don’t fall under the umbrella of the OpenStack Foundation, but are actively being used and developed within the greater ecosystem. We were inspired by everyone who came together to plan the next development cycle on their storage, configuration management, orchestration and networking projects. If you have an open source project that’s related to OpenStack and has a significant community of contributors, we invite you to submit a proposal.
Julien Danjou reports on what’s happening within the OpenStack Telemetry program, with a retrospective on Ceilometer and its drawbacks.
Entertaining post by Rob Hirschfeld about DefCore. “There’s no point in sugar-coating this: selecting API and code sections for core requires making hard choices and saying no. DefCore makes this fair by 1) defining principles for selection, 2) going slooooowly to limit surprises and 3) being transparent in operation.”
Fun game by the fun folks at Metacloud. They’re printing and giving away in Paris custom-printed decks of cards that include the most influential people of OpenStack. The best part? The community gets to decide who is featured in the deck!
The Road To Paris 2014 – Deadlines and Resources
During the Paris Summit there will be a working session for the Women of OpenStack to frame up more defined goals and line out a blueprint for the group moving forward. We encourage all women in the community to complete this very short surveyto provide input for the group.
- Applications for Travel Support Program are open until August 18th
- Request an invitation letter for VISA
- Reserve hotel rooms
Reports from Previous Events
- Juno nova mid-cycle meetup summary: bug management
- Juno nova mid-cycle meetup summary: scheduler
- Juno nova mid-cycle meetup summary: slots
- Juno nova mid-cycle meetup summary: nova-network to Neutron migration
- Juno nova mid-cycle meetup summary: the next generation Nova API
- Juno nova mid-cycle meetup summary: conclusion
- Enterprise OpenStack and DbaaS
- QA Program: From Juno into the Future
- Review priorities as we approach juno-3
- The future of the integrated release
- The Czar system, or how to scale PTLs
- Design summit format evolution (can we make that time as efficient as midcycle meetups?)
Security Advisories and Notes
- Persistent XSS in Horizon Host Aggregates interface (CVE-2014-3594)
- Glance store DoS through disk space exhaustion (CVE-2014-5356)
- [OSSN 0022] Nova Networking does not enforce security group rules following a soft reboot of an instance
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Giulio Fidente: TripleO vs OpenStack HA
- By Julien Danjou: Tracking OpenStack contributions in GitHub
- By Deploying TOSCA portable workloads in OpenStack
- By Yves Trudeau: Getting my hands dirty on an OpenStack lab
- By Sébastien Han: A must-have cron job on your OpenStack Cloud
- By Assaf Muller: Layer 3 High Availability
- FossetCon Sep 11 – 13, 2014 – Orlando, FL Details
- OpenStack Meeting 2014 Sep 11, 2014 – São Paulo, SP, BR Details
- OpenStack Silicon Valley Sep 16, 2014 – Mountain View, CA, US Details
- OpenStack Conference Benelux 2014 Sep 19, 2014 – Bussum, The Netherlands Details
- OpenStack Summit November 2014 Nov 03 – 07, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- Criteria for giving a -1 in a review
- Time to Samba! 🙂
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Nova compute stays up (state 🙂 )even after host shutdown
- Why is Tempest test_network_basic_ops pinging an IP with no Neutron port?
- how to update the API Access URLs?
- Help debugging “SSLError at /project/containers/” error.
- Is cinder is the only option to attach Logical volume to an instance?
- Can I get serialized output for any object in swift.
- How to install Ironic in RHEL?
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Welcome Michael Bayer to oslo-db core reviewers
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Data Processing (Sahara)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.