Following the success of the first Vietnam OpenStack Community (VietOpenStack) meetup, the second meeting has been held at Marcel Dassault amphitheater, Francophone Institute for Informatics (IFI-VNU) on 4th January, 2013. There were approx. 50 people attending this event. We warmly welcomed:
- Representatives from IT Business Management level: Mr. Nguyen Huc Quoc – Director of e-government center, Department of Information and Technology, Ministry of Information and Technology, Mr. Nguyen Hong Quang – Chairman of Vietnam Free and Open Source Software Association (VFOSSA), Mr. Nguyen The Trung – Managing Director of DTT Technology Group (DTT), Mr. Do Hoang Khanh – Former CTO of Citibank Global, a senior expert on IT of DTT, Mr. Tran Luong Son – Director of Vietsoftware, Mr. Le Phuoc Thanh – Managing Director of VidaGis…
- Representatives from ICT companies: Vietsoftware, Netnam, iWay, VidaGis, Viami Software, DTT …
- Members of VietOpenStack start-up team: Translation sub-team, Technical sub-team…
- Teachers and students from technology university: Francophone Institute for Informatics (VNU-IFI), Hanoi University of Industry (HaIU), Hanoi University of Science and Technology (HUST)…
The 2nd VietOpenStack meetup took place in a friendly, enthusiastic and full-of-energy atmosphere and the “Open” spirit was clearly shown in every presentation and discussion of the participants. Starting the show, Mr. Nguyen The Trung, Managing Director of DTT introduced the agenda of VietOpenStack Meetup 2 and special guests.
Main contents of 2nd Meeting include:
- OpenStack Demo
- Translation of OpenStack Documents
- OpenStack experience sharing of an IT expert
- Q&A and future plan
1. OpenStack Demo
Mr. Nguyen Thanh Hai from Netnam introduced his company as one of the Internet Service Provider (ISP) company providing internet and network services. He then conducted a demonstration on OpenStack installing model.
2. Discussion on OpenStack Translation
Ms. Le Phuong Nga, member of OpenStack Translation team from DTT, started her presentation by introducing all members of the OpenStack translation and reviewing teams. She then briefed on recent team activities and translation progress in which Vietnam has completed 9% of the translation work. She also raised some translated related issues while her team doing the translation to the community, such as difficulty in getting the translated work reviewed by the reviewing team.
3. OpenStack experience from a senior IT expert
Mr. Do Hoang Khanh, former CTO of CitiBank Global and a 30 year experience IT consultant of DTT Technology Group, is a person who is passionate about open source movement. He also attended the OpenStack Summit last October in San Diego. He shared with the participants his personal experiences and knowledge on OpenStack. What a touching presentation he has given for this meetup event!
4. Q&A and future plan
Although there were some questions and answers during the whole meeting, group discussion really started when beers and snacks, sponsored by DTT, were served to the attendants. People drank and shared more openly on OpenStack and opportunities it could bring to ICT companies in Vietnam. Everyone was eager for the next meetup, which is tentatively to be held in Ho Chi Minh city. And yes, discussion for Meeting 3 is on the mailing list now. It will be announced very soon 🙂
We especially thank Mr. Nguyen Hong Quang, Chairman of VFOSSA and his team for being so supportive in organizing the meetup place. Great hospitalities has made to the success of VietOpenStack Meeting 2.
5. VietOpenStack contact details:
- Group Mailing list: [email protected]
- Web address: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/vietnam-openstack?hl=vi
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VietOpenStack
- Coordinator: Hang Tran ([email protected])