On December 14th I completed my talk about OpenStack in Slovenia, in front of 66 people (49 registered, 17 more showed up last minute) from Slovenian small businesses, government agencies and academia. Incredible vibe, very competent crowd about cloud computing and IaaS in general.
The agenda of the day (full agenda, in Slovenian)
- OpenStack – how and where — Stefano Maffulli, OpenStack Community Manager
- Overview of Open Source “IaaS” solutions and practical demonstration OpenStack framework – Robert Dukarić, MD. Matjaz B. Juric, Laboratory for Information Systems Integration, Faculty of Computing and Informatics Institute (FRI), www.fri.uni-lj.si
- Security in the cloud — Dr.. Mojca Ciglarič, Assistant Professor and Head of the Laboratory for Computer Communications at the Ljubljana Faculty of Computer and Information Science. Is a member of “Cloud Security” Alliance and research director of the Slovenian section of the association. www.fri.uni-lj.si
- Security in OpenStack — Primož Cigoj, dipl. ing. Laboratory for Open Systems and Networks (E5), Institut “Jozef Stefan” www.e5.ijs.si
- KC Class and eurocloud.si / eurocloud.org – Dalibor Baškovč, www.KC-Class.eu
- Storing data in OpenStack – mag. Ivan Tomašič, Electrotechnical Faculty in Zagreb and Rashkovska Alexander, BSc. ing. Inv., PSI International Postgraduate School, Department of Communication Systems (E6), Institut “Jozef Stefan” www-e6.ijs.si
- How to use tools, build affordable high-performance data storage system – Dr. Matjaz Krevl Pančur and Andrew, BSc. ing. Inv., Laboratory for Computer Communications, Faculty of Computing and Informatics Institute (FRI), www.fri.uni-lj.si
- Development of the clouds in RedHat – Ales Justin JBoss by RedHat
Most of the event was in Slovenian, so I cannot comment too much on it. I found extremely interesting the presentation from the Slovenian representative of Eurocloud.org, a pan-European organization whose mission is to create awareness of Cloud Computing within the industry and public administrations. It reminded me how much of the demand for IT in Europe is created by regulations, at the local and European level.