April 27th, 2011 — 12:57am
The first day of the OpenStack event in Santa Clara, CA has finally ended (at least for me) and here are some event highlights as well as some great pictures taken by various community members.
- Gordon Mangione of Citrix Systems talks about his keynote today – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClGnuECnfFE
- Attendance – Just over 400 people attended the event today
- OpenStack Community donates $15,000 from event registration to Japanese Tsunami Relief Fund
- Other Keynote Speakers – Jim Curry from Rackspace – Ryan Lane from Wikimedia – James Williams from NASA – Neal Sample from eBay
- Nati Shalom from GigaSpaces – PaaS on OpenStack Slides- http://www.slideboom.com/presentations/344639/PaaS-on-OpenStack
- All keynote sessions taped – anticipate posting videos and slides next week
Crowd in Networking for OpenStack Presentation
Lunch in great California weather
2 comments » | community, Event, Video
April 11th, 2011 — 10:42am
Nati Shalom from GigaSpaces posted a blog today, “GigaSpaces OpenStack Explained.”
From the post,
One of the major concerns of many IT organizations is cloud vendor lock-in. This concern was expressed recently in “Banks fear cloud vendor lock-in,” from IT Wire:
The onset of cloud computing gives vendors the chance to lock customers in to their infrastructure, using proprietary protocols to ensure they’re on the monthly billing cycle as long as possible.
The OpenStack project emerged with a mission to address this concern by creating a community-led open source project enabling any organization to create and offer cloud computing services running on standard hardware.
GigaSpaces joined the OpenStack project with the mission to enable any organization to build its own Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS), with its own choice of language and best-of-breed middleware stack.
In this post, I’ll try to provide more insight into our current and future plans around OpenStack, and more specifically our joint collaboration with the Citrix OpenCloud initiative.
Rest of Post
Comment » | Development, Partner