Turk cell is the leading mobile network operator in Turkey and also offers additional internet services to its users. One of these services is Akıllı Depo, a service to store and share important documents, photos, videos and other media files in the cloud.
In 2015 Turk cell upgraded their offering and therefore needed a storage system that is
- easily accessible from apps and web-browsers
- is built with a strong durability, high availability and scalability in mind
- stores data replicated across multiple datacenters
- and can be enhanced using software developed in-house
During this talk, we want to give you an overview and introduction to OpenStack Swift, an open-source object storage system, and how it is used and operated to empower Turk's offerings using the Red Hat OpenStack platform.
- Running Swift+Keystone as a standalone service
- Building geo-replicated Swift clusters
- Integration with existing operation tools like Ansible, Grafana
- Challenges we faced when growing fast