The journey from a static, monolithic, GUI driven OpenStack cloud deployment methodology to a more modular, developer oriented, CI/CD driven deployment methodology can be quite challenging. But the benefits this change in approach brings, which include continuous, agile updates and uninterrupted service upgrades, far outweigh the resources, time, and training to effectively transition from one approach to the other. A CI/CD driven methodology also strategically aligns the deployment mechanisms for the next generation of containerizing the OpenStack control plane!
This session is includes the perspective of the AT&T Entertainment Group, which is using OpenStack at production scale.
Attendees will learn:
- The differences between a "traditional" OpenStack deployment using the Fuel project and the containerized OpenStack cloud methodology
- When to use the Fuel approach
- When the containerized approach is more appropriate
- How companies adapt to changes in resources and training required between the two methods of deployment as one depends on Cobbler and Puppet and the other depends on MaaS and Salt.
- AEG’s perspective on how the transition from one method to the other has benefitted the company
- Methods for taking the modular services approach to the next level