With all the storage options in OpenStack, every user will need to move data around, either within a cloud from one storage type or backend to another or from one cloud to another. We are going to discuss migration approaches for images, volumes and shares provided by Glance, Cinder and Manila OpenStack services, and apply this to different backends such Ceph, NFS, iSCSI. Our talk is geared toward end users, administrators and architects, and will cover both in-cloud and multi-cloud migration, which is especially important in the context of an inevitable cloud upgrade.
Use cases include cloud migration, storage scaling and disaster recovery will illustrate tools and techniques appropriate for each.
We are teaming up to tender tales, tools and techniques to technical teams in order to transfer troves of terabytes to tenable targets.
OpenStack Cinder has many capabilities around migration/backup/recovery, but it's not always clear which API to select for certain a use case. By attending this presentation, you will gain a solid real-world understanding of:
- Usage of Cinder migration/backup/recovery features
- Limitations and improvements in Mitaka
As well as the following, more advanced, use cases:
- Perform storage migration with different backends such as Ceph, NFS, iSCSI
- Migrate data from one OpenStack cloud to another in a multi-region or multi-cloud setup
- Analyze backup and restore use cases from both the infrastructure and the workload realm, and implement solutions.