April 25-29, 2016

Event Details

Please note: All times listed below are in Central Time Zone

A Ring to Rule Them All - Revising OpenStack Internals to Operate Massively Distributed Clouds

Academics and industry experts are advocating for going from large-centralized Cloud Computing infrastructures to smaller ones massively distributed at the edge of the network. However to favor the adoption of such a model, the development of a system in charge of turning such a complex and diverse network of resources into a global Cloud is critical.

In this talk, we introduce the premises of such a system. The novelty of our work is that instead of developing “yet another” brokering solution, we chose to revise the OpenStack internals with P2P mechanisms in order to operate in a distributed manner but throughout the same software platform such a geographically spread Cloud. More precisely, we describe how we extended Nova with an additional driver allowing the use of a distributed key/value store instead of the centralized SQL backend. Results of experiments conducted on Grid'5000 are promising and pave the way toward a first large-scale and WAN-wide IaaS manager based on OpenStack.

What can I expect to learn?

The Discovery initiative aims at operating a platform composed of thousands of servers deployed across hundreds of geographically distributed sites. Although OpenStack is organized following the Shared Nothing principle, its scalability is limited by the usage of relational databases and the use of an AMQP bus. These limitations become clearer in a multi-site scenario where synchronization between the DBs should be performed.

In this talk, participants will learn how we succeeded to replace MySQL by Redis thanks to ROME, an SQLAlchemy-like ORM that enables the use a Key/Value store system. Our implementation is promising as 80% of the API requests are completed faster than with MySQL (understanding how to improve the remaining 20% is an on-going task). Finally we will discuss results from multi-site experiments conducted on top of Grid’5000. They demonstrate the relevance of our proposal, while preserving higher-level mechanisms like host-aggregates and the usage of the Rally benchmark.

Monday, April 25, 4:40pm-5:20pm (9:40pm - 10:20pm UTC)
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Full Professor
Dr. Adrien Lebre is Professor at IMT Atlantique.  He received his Ph.D. from Grenoble Institute of Technologies in September 2006. His research interests are distributed and Internet computing. Since 2011, he is member of the Architect and Executive boards of Grid’5000. Dr. Adrien Lebre has taken part to several program committees of conferences and workshops ( ICDCS, CCGRID, SC, HPDC,... FULL PROFILE
Phd Candidate - Founder and Developper of ROME
Jonathan Pastor is the first Phd Candidate that has integrated the Discovery Initiative. He should defend his Phd thesis related to the distribution of OpenStack by April 2016.  He main interests are:  IaaS managers (in particular OpenStack) deployed at large scale over multi-sites. High availability and scalability of OpenStack (Nova). Peer to peer architecture and locality... FULL PROFILE
Research Engineer - Discovery Technical Manager
Matthieu Simonin is permanent research engineer at INRIA. His primary task is to help research teams to build and develop various software and experimentation on large infrastructures. His topics of interest include :  distributed systems, cloud computing IT automation Data visualisation FULL PROFILE
Open Infrastructure Foundation, Vice President of Engineering
Thierry Carrez is the General Manager for the OpenInfra Foundation. A long-time elected member of the OpenStack Technical Committee, he has been a Release Manager for the OpenStack project since its inception, coordinating the effort and facilitating collaboration between contributors. Thierry spoke about OpenStack, open innovation and open source project management at various conferences... FULL PROFILE