Please note: All times listed below are in Central Time Zone
Telco and Enterprises are looking for high performance, secure and scalable network infrastructure while building nextgen datacenters for NFV & SDN deployments. Top requirements are:
- Scale-up services with analytics: millions of mobile flows; video, voice, data
- High performance: 25G to 100G per Server
- Optimized resource usage
- Multi-site deployments: efficient multi-tenancy using SDN overlay
- Integrated end-to-end solution with no vendor lock-in
In this talk, RedHat, Nuage Networks & Mellanox will address these challenges in a solution centric manner bringing together 3 key components of NFV & SDN infrastructure: Openstack, SDN Controller & SmartNICs. We will describe the modifications to many open source components including Linux kernel, OVS & OpenStack (Neutron, Nova & OVS ML2), to enable a vendor agnostic, open source and community driven OVS offload solution that’s radically different, offers blazing high speeds up to 100Gbps/VNF and has no trade-offs.
- Requirements for next-gen SDN/NFV datacenters: 5G, IoT and mobile applications will demand more from the infrastructure
- What is OVS Offload to SmartNICs? How does it meet the needs of next-gen SDN/NFV Datacenter?: 25G+ speeds with SR-IOV no CPU overhead. Offload OVS flow rules and actions, traffic classification, QoS marking, encap/decap tunneling, NAT, firewall ACL filtering, TCP connection tracking, DPI and DDoS prevention. If offload fails, fall back to OVS slow-path. Offload millions of flows with firewall rules and connection tracking.
- Tradeoffs between datapath options; SR-IOV, OVS-DPDK and OVS Offload
- Dive into OVS Offload options: SR-IOV with OVS offload, partial offload with OVS-DPDK, VirtiO options with live migration
- Community activities including Linux kernel TC/flower, OVS match and action offload, Openstack upstream work for Neutron, Nova and ML2 (OS-VIF)
- Limitations of OVS offload with SmartNICs - Features dependent NIC vendor, bonding within NIC only, limited live migration support with VirtIO
- Proof of Concept results of integrated solution with performance analysis of OVS Offload with VLAN and VXLAN