Please note: All times listed below are in Central Time Zone
There are many benefits to participating in an open source project like OpenStack. We describe how one can be successful at this. The talk describes the structure of most open source communities, governance, and how members of the community communicate.
The talk describes the first 5 things that every newcomer to OpenStack should follow. Reviewing code is an important aspect of community participation and we describe how to do good code reviews. Participation in OpenStack discussions involves email and IRC and we provide tips on how to efficiently handle the flood of information.
It is worth highlighting some anti-patterns, that are counter-productive to the community. We provide some important Don’ts for new contributors and highlight contributions that are of enormous value to the community which can speed up getting productive in the community.
The talk concludes with a specific example of how participation in OpenStack benefited someone’s career!
Attendees will learn about
- the common structural elements of many open source communities (like OpenStack, ASF, and Kubernetes).
- how distributed communities function, how members of the community collaborate and make decisions.
- how to effectively participate in IRC and email conversations, even if English isn't your native language.
- how to do code reviews that will be noticed and valuable to the community.
- how to participate even if you don't code.
- do's and more importantly don'ts for new contributors.