Power, cooling and real estate are the key constraints for Edge Clouds but they should not be met at the expense of performance and efficiency. What if we could build high density micro data centers for the edge cloud without sacrificing performance and efficiency? Sounds too good to be true? Come and learn about data plane acceleration!
Nokia and Mellanox have teamed up to create an integrated edge cloud infrastructure supporting "switch on SmartNIC" offloading for Virtualized and Containerized infrastructure. This solution boosts the network performance by an order of magnitude. Specifically, SDN using overlay networking such as VXLAN can be completely offloaded. Not only can we terminate tunneling on the edge cloud servers, but we can also switch traffic between various VNFs/CNFs, apply ACLs and much more.
This review session covers the design, performance, and benefits of a high performance and efficient edge cloud data center.
- Edge Cloud data centers are important for a number of technologies including 5G, IoT, AR/VR, Autonomous Vehicles, etc.
- Traditional data center design paradigms do not apply to edge micro data centers due to constraints such as power, cooling and real estate
- While optimizing data center design, often performance and efficiency of the edge servers is sacrificed
- This talk benefits any and all edge cloud customers who are looking to design highly efficient micro data center while maintaining tight power, cooling and real estate budgets
- We highlight an industry solution that has been designed using Nokia OpenEdge servers, Mellanox smart adapters, Nuage Networks SDN controller and OpenStack for orchestration and automation of edge cloud