At the Vancouver Summit after the presentation of "Kubernetes networking with Calico" (link given in bio) there were a large number of doubts and questions requesting differences/comparison of various products for Kubernetes networking such as Calico, Flannel, Canal, etc. On searching no comprehensive document or talk was available that clearly compared these popular solutions at the technical/functional level along with the architecture and gave use cases where each of these tools can/cannot be used.
This talk will focus on the comparison between these tools including features, advantages, disadvantages and where possible, performance differences.
The broad areas that will be focussed on are:
- Ease of setup/use (with a demo where possible)
- Kind of networking topology that is used i.e. L2, L3
- Route Distribution
The talk will also cover recommendations of which of these tools will be best suited for some typical use cases.
The networking solutions available for Kubernetes Networking can be a long list. In this talk one can learn about:
- The various tools that are available
- The architecture and what differentiates each solution
- The Pro's, Con's and the specific use cases where each may be useful
- A technical comparison of the features/capabilities that each solution comes with