A talk filled with war stories from designing, building and operating a multi site public cloud service
on OpenStack with all the bells and whistles expected, including a custom control panel.
And keeping the beast running and up to date.
Including but not limited to:
* Thoughts on design - going with community or propriatary vendor solutions.
* Due to hysterical reasons - from manual installation to Ansible Openstack and the path between.
* A bewildering story of networking.
* Handling hardware
* Around the world in 80 ms - coping with multiple locations and making them cooperate.
* The sad state of billing.
* Minor bugs, issues and and live patching.
* Vendor support - or the lack thereof.
* The API and coding against it.
* The importance of test and development systems.
* Supporting the mess, from customer input to fix in production.
* Keeping the beast up to date.
* Some final advices.