The road to embrace OpenStack at Verizon offers lessons in the need for companies to manage the business, cultural and technical changes that come with any large systems implementation, while overcoming the unique challenges of incorporating OpenStack into an organization unfamiliar with the open source model.
As a telecommunications giant, Verizon has a large and complex heterogeneous portfolio of applications and systems to support its global businesses and products. Verizon looked to use OpenStack because it has the capability for the hyper scale and flexibility to support the company's many interconnected requirements. However, such a fundamental change to the company's systems and processes is not going to happen overnight.
During this session we will share both the successes and lessons learned in implementing OpenStack into the Verizon environment.
Lessons on how to introduce OpenStack into a regulated and complex IT systems environment including:
- How to work within an organization to gain executive support
- Cultural and process changes and how to manage them
- Which systems are the best candidates to take advantage of OpenStack and which ones are not
- Technical challenges to building an OpenStack environment at scale and how to address them
- The balance between the regulatory and business requirements and the need to engage with and embrace the OpenStack community