The Telco and Distributed Edge Business Unit at VMware is looking for a highly motivated software engineer to join our team. You'll be responsible for building the software that provides the virtual infrastructure management layer for some of the largest telecommunications providers in the world. As a Staff Engineer on the VMware Integrated OpenStack (VIO) R&D team, you'll get to work with a broad spectrum of technology including:
* VMware Integrated OpenStack, our telco-grade OpenStack platform that is already deployed at CSP's, large enterprises, and government entities across the globe--and is rapidly growing!
* VMware's gold-standard software defined datacenter (SDDC) core, including VMware vSphere, vSAN, and NSX which deliver the infrastructure managed by VIO.
* Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, which forms the underpinning control plane for VIO.
* Open source technologies including Helm, Kubernetes, Docker, OpenStack, and more.
* You'll develop open source and proprietary code in Python and Golang.
* You'll work with distributed systems that must scale from very compact footprints and massive datacenters.
You'll also work with our amazing R&D team that's as globally distributed as our customers and crosses multiple business units--and have the chance to interface directly with our field teams and customers to better understand and solve their problems. Your responsibilities will include:
* Strong focus on our telco grade VMware Integrated OpenStack product, adding new features to satisfy evolving customer requirements.
* Software development in Python and Golang for both our carrier grade OpenStack distribution and it's Kubernetes underpinnings.
* Design innovative software and solution to manage, orchestrate and automate cloud native networks.
* Work with other business units to ensure VIO interoperates with other products in our software defined data center portfolio.
* Work with field teams and customers to provide technical expertise to solve the challenges of deploying virtual infrastructure at scale.
What we're looking for:
* Strong programming skills in Python and/or Golang
* OpenStack development experience is desired
* Knowledge of Kubernetes, containers, and cloud native application development platforms
* Passion for distributed systems and ability to cut through complexity to develop solutions
* Self-motivated with ability to prioritize tasks and working a fast-paced dynamic environment with a distributed team
* Demonstrable experience designing/implementing virtualization platforms and/or service provider network environments
* Work experience in telco industry is a plus but is not required
Palo Alto, California, US