This week’s launch of OPNFV is a good opportunity to think about a simmering debate in the OpenStack developer community for a while now – what exactly does NFV have to do with OpenStack, and is it a good thing? Follow Boad Member Mark McLoughlin‘s journey around NFV.
Thierry Carrez celebrates every little contribution gone into OpenStack. “It doesn’t matter who is #1, it matters that we all can contribute, and that we all do contribute. It matters that we keep on making sure everyone can easily contribute. That’s what’s really important, and I wish we all were celebrating that.”
The OpenStack Havana 2013.2.4 integrated point release last Tuesday, September 23, marks the end of stable support for OpenStack Havana.
The Road To Paris 2014 – Deadlines and Resources
During the Paris Summit there will be a working session for the Women of OpenStack to frame up more defined goals and line out a blueprint for the group moving forward. We encourage all women in the community to complete this very short survey to provide input for the group.
- Request an invitation letter for VISA
- Reserve hotel rooms
- Upstream Training in Paris: details and signup form (use the waiting list, we go through it)
- The official Schedule for the Paris Summit is available
- A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Summit
- The problem space in the big tent
- On layers
- Answering the existential question in OpenStack
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Adalberto Medeiros: Creating your own CI Environment for OpenStack – Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3
- By Daniel P. Berrangé: History of APIs for spawning processes in libvirt without involving the shell and Usage of the libvirt virCommand APIs for process spawning
- By Adam Young: Multiple Signers and Wherein our hero attempts to build his own OpenStack Keystone RPMs
- By Yves Gwenael: Site to Site OpenVPN in an OpenContrail subnet
- By dmsimard: S3QL, a filesystem over HTTP with Openstack Swift and Finding the right Openstack provider (or how to use the OpenStack Marketplace)
- By Priti_Desai: How to configure and run Tempest for testing OpenStack Keystone Identity V3 API?
- By Ben Nemec: Debugging Syntax and Import Errors in OpenStack Unit Tests
- By Stephane Combaudon: MySQL & OpenStack: How to overcome issues as your dataset grows
- By 10: Post #3: Replication and Clustering – A Look ahead
- By Lars Kellogg-Stedman: Integrating custom code with Nova using hooks
Security Advisories and Notices
- Nova VMware driver still leaks rescued images (CVE-2014-3608)
- Cinder-volume host data leak to vm instance (CVE-2014-3641)
- Admin-only network attributes may be reset to defaults by non-privileged users (CVE-2014-6414)
- [OSSN 0030] Bash ‘shellshock’ bug can lead to code injection vulnerability
- [OSSN 0029] Neutron FWaaS rules lack port restrictions when using protocol ‘any’
- [OSSN 0028] Nova leaks compute host SMBIOS serial number to guests
- Gartner Symposium/ITexpo Oct 05 – 09, 2014 – Orlando, FL Details
- Telco Cloud World Forum Oct 07 – 09, 2014 – Dallas, TX Details
- Network Functions Virtualization Oct 07, 2014 – Paris, FR Details
- CloudOpen / LinuxCon Europe Oct 13 – 15, 2014 – Düsseldorf, Germany Details
- Futurecom Oct 13 – 16, 2014 – Sao Paolo, Brazil Details
- Colorado Meetup – CEPH Oct 14, 2014 – Fort Collins, CO, US Details
- ITPro Expo Oct 15 – 17, 2014 – Tokyo, Japan Details
- Rakuten Technology Conference Oct 25, 2014 – Tokyo, Japan Details
- Japan OpenStack User Group Meetup Oct 27, 2014 – Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, JP Details
- Open World Forum Oct 30 – Nov 01, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- OpenStack Summit November 2014 Nov 03 – 07, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- USENIX LISA Nov 09 – 14, 2014 – Seattle, WA Details
- Japan OpenStack User Group Meetup Dec 01, 2014 – Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, JP Details
- Gartner Data Center Conference Dec 02 – 05, 2014 – Las Vegas, NV Details
- Free passes to CloudOpen EU Dusseldorf available for Booth Volunteers
- Improving the content of OpenStack wiki
- OpenStack Upstream Training challenges
- Telcos Mobilizing to Drive NFV Adoption
- OpenStack Juno Mid-Cycle Policy Summit
- python-congressclient 1.0.0 release!
- OpenStack Juno: Continuing Enterprise Maturity
- Blueprints implemented in Nova during Juno
- OpenStack 2014.1.3 released
- Release of python-cinderclient 1.1.1
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Installing Devstack on Xenserver triggers a urllib3.connectionpool warning, followed by a 409 Conflict: Cannot upload to an unqueued image.
- Failed to notify nova on events – Specified RPC version cap, 3.0, is too low. Needs to be higher than 3.23.
- How to add members to image in multi-domain cloud
- Why is openvswitch forwarding arp packets between external and internal bridge?
- Is there a utility to clean up orphaned resources?
- Any options to migrate from xenserver/cloudstack to kvm/openstack?
- firewall semantics and connection tracking in Neutron
- Is there a utility to clean up orphaned resources?
- How to assign the same names to VMs in VCenter and Nova?
- How to enable two users to read and write a Swift container with tempauth ACL?
Welcome New Reviewers, Developers and Core Reviewers
Welcome new core reviewers: Andreas Jaeger, Anita Kuno and Sean Dague to project-config-core, James Carey to oslo-i18n-core
|Jiri Suchomel||Rico lin|
|Jun Hong Li||Razumovsky Peter|
|Patrick East||Nikolay Fedotov|
|Johnson koil raj||Jake Kitchener|
|Tomas Bezdek||Aaron Smith|
|Alberto Planas||Paul Karikh|
|TAHMINA AHMED||dominik dobruchowski|
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.