OpenStack Juno, the tenth release of the open source software for building public, private, and hybrid clouds has 342 new features to support software development, big data analysis and application infrastructure at scale. The OpenStack community continues to attract the best developers and experts in their disciplines with 1,419 individuals employed by more than 133 organizations contributing to the Juno release.
For nearly two years, the OpenStack Board has been moving towards creating a common platform definition that can help drive interoperability. At the last meeting, the Board paused to further review one of the core tenants of the DefCore process (Item #3: Core definition can be applied equally to all usage models). The following material will be a major part of the discussion for The OpenStack Board meeting on Monday 10/20. Comments and suggest welcome!
A new working group about APIs is forming in the OpenStack community. Its purpose is “To propose, discuss, review, and advocate for API guidelines for all OpenStack Programs to follow.” To learn more read the API Working Group wiki page.
Lots of confirmations and some new names. Thank you for all who served in the past cycle and welcome to new OpenStack Tech Leads and members of the Technical Committee.
The Road To Paris 2014 – Deadlines and Resources
During the Paris Summit there will be a working session for the Women of OpenStack to frame up more defined goals and line out a blueprint for the group moving forward. We encourage all women in the community to complete this very short survey to provide input for the group.
- Request an invitation letter for VISA
- Reserve hotel rooms
- The official Schedule for the Paris Summit is available
Report from Events
- OpenStack Workshop At Grace Hopper Open Source Day 2014
- LinuxCon/KVMForum/CloudOpen Eu 2014
- OpenStack @ LinuxCon Europe
- OpenStack Instance HA Proposal
- One week of Nova Kilo specifications
- Should It Be Easy to Install OpenStack?
- Multi-clouds integration by OpenStack cascading
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Michael Chapman: Build your own OpenStack distro using community Puppet modules
- By Jon Grimm: OpenStack guest CPU topology configuration: Part one and Part two
- By Oleg Gelbukh: Upgrading OpenStack workloads: introducing Pumphouse
- By Cameron Seader: SUSE Cloud 4 OpenStack Admin Appliance; Updated
- By Miguel Ángel Ajo: How to debug SE linux errors, and write custom policies
- By Adam Young: Who can sign for what?
- By Matt Farina: Connecting to OpenStack in node.js with pkgcloud
- By Florent Flament: OpenStack Swift Ring made understandable
Security Advisories and Notices
- Potential leak of passwords into log files (CVE-2014-7230, CVE-2014-7231)
- Nova VMware driver may connect VNC to another tenant’s console (CVE-2014-8750)
- Oct 21, 2014 OpenStack As An NFV Platform, Online Meeting
- Oct 23, 2014 OpenStack L.A. Meetup Pasadena, CA, US
- Oct 25, 2014 Rakuten Technology Conference Tokyo, Japan
- Oct 27, 2014 Japan OpenStack User Group Meetup Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, JP
- Oct 30 – Nov 01, 2014 Open World Forum Paris, France
- Nov 03 – 07, 2014 OpenStack Summit November 2014 Paris, France
- Nov 09 – 14, 2014 USENIX LISA Seattle, WA
- Dec 01, 2014 Japan OpenStack User Group Meetup Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, JP
- Dec 02 – 05, 2014 Gartner Data Center Conference Las Vegas, NV
- Wiki.openstack.org now supports translations
- The OpenStack Juno release: activity and organizations
- OpenStack Summit interview series: the road to Kilo
- OpenStack Goldilocks’ Syndrome: three questions to help us find our bearings
- Dive into the software-defined network ocean with OpenStack
- OpenStack on Hyper-V – Icehouse 2014.1.3 – Best tested compute component?
- Rackspace doubling-down on OpenStack Trove and Percona Server
- Accelerating Science With OpenStack At Notre Dame
- What’s New in Neutron for OpenStack Juno
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Neutron ML2: VM instances do not get IP via DHCP with Mellanox
- How to extend the time allowed for overcloud create
- How exactly do swift-bench timeouts work?
- Openstack juno how to configure dvr in network-node and compute-node
- How to load entry point for new ML2 driver plugin ?
- Can I force an NTP sync in Swift hosts?
- Icehouse: 3-node neutron setup – instances only ACTIVE if neutron-dhcp-agent started on controller
Welcome New Reviewers, Developers and Core Reviewers
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.