As part of our community’s commitment to interoperability, the OpenStack Board of Directors has been working to make sure that “downstream” OpenStack-branded commercial products offer the same baseline functionality and include the same upstream, community-developed code. The work to define these required core capabilities and code has been led by the DefCore Committee co-chaired by Rob Hirschfeld (his DefCore blog) and Joshua McKenty (his post). You can read more about the committee history and rationale in Mark Collier’s blog post. The next deadlines are: OSCON on July 21, 11:30 am PDT and the Board Meeting on July 22nd.
The results of the poll are just in, and the winner proposal is “Kilo”. “k” is the unit symbol for “kilo”, a SI unit prefix (derived from the Greek word χίλιοι which means “thousand”). “Kilo” is often used as a shorthand for “kilogram”, and the kilogram is the last SI base unit to be tied to a reference artifact (stored near Paris in the Pavillon de Breteuil in Sèvres).
A dozen OpenStack experts and writers from companies across the OpenStack ecosystem gathered at VMware’s Palo Alto campus for the OpenStack Architecture Design Guide book sprint. The intent was to deliver a completed book aimed architects and evaluators, on designing OpenStack clouds — in just five days.
If you try to solve a problem with the wrong tool you’re likely going to have a frustrating experience. OpenStack developers use blueprints define the roadmap for the various projects, the specifications attached to a blueprint are used to discuss the implementation details before code is submitted for review. Operators and users in general don’t need to dive in the details of how OpenStack developers organize their work and definitely should never be asked to use tools designed for and by developers.
Third Party CI group formation and minutes
At this week’s meeting the Third-Party group continues to discuss documentation patches, including a new terminology proposal, as well as CI system naming, logging and test timing. There was also a summary review of the current state of Neutron driver CI rollout. Anyone deploying a third-party test system or interested in easing third-party involvement is welcome to attend the meetings. Minutes of ThirdParty meetings are carefully logged.
The Road To Paris 2014 – Deadlines and Resources
- Call for Speakers now OPEN – November Summit in Paris
- Applications for Travel Support Program are open until August 18th
- Request an invitation letter for VISA
- Reserve hotel rooms
Security Advisories and Notices
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Cody Bunch: USB Key Duplication on OSX on the Cheap (only marginally about OpenStack but neat)
- By Manishanker Talusani: How to contribute to Openstack
- By Kevin Jackson: Inside My Home Rackspace Private Cloud, OpenStack Lab, Part 7: LBaaS
- 4th Birthday OpenStack Beijing Jul 19, 2014 – Beijing, Beijing, CN Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 19, 2014 – Moscow, Russia Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 19, 2014 – Caracas, Venezuela Details
- OSCON Jul 20 – 24, 2014 – Portland, Oregon Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 20, 2014 – Mumbai, India Details
- Minnesota OpenStack Meetup Jul 21, 2014 – MinneapolisSt. Paul, Minnesota, US Details
- OpenStack Tutorial and 4th Birthday Party Jul 21 – 23, 2014 – Thailand Details
- The Fifth Elephant 2014 Jul 23 – 26, 2014 – Bangalore, Karnataka, IN Details
- OpenStack 4th Anniversary – Munich Jul 23, 2014 – Munich, DE Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 24, 2014 – Seattle, WA Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 24, 2014 – Triangle, North Carolina Details
- Openstack Brazil Day / 4th Birthday Jul 26, 2014 – Porto Alegre, RS, BR Details
- OpenStack 4th Anniversary-Frankfurt Jul 28, 2014 – Frankfurt, DE Details
- OpenStack 4th Anniversary – Berlin Jul 29, 2014 – Berlin, DE Details
- OpenStack 4th BIrthday Party Jul 29, 2014 – Nairobi, Kenya Details
- OpenStack miniconf at PyCon AU Aug 01 – 05, 2014 – Brisbane, Queensland, AU Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Aug 07, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- OpenStack workshop at Fedora Flock Aug 09, 2014 – Prague, Czech Republic, CZ Details
- Serviceability, Swift and OpenStack Aug 14, 2014 – Boston, MA, US Details
- OpenStack Trove Day Aug 19, 2014 – Cambridge, MA, US Details
- CloudOpen North America Aug 20 – 22, 2014 – Chicago, IL Details
- OpenStack Silicon Valley Sep 16, 2014 – Mountain View, CA, US Details
- OpenStack Conference Benelux 2014 Sep 19, 2014 – Bussum, The Netherlands Details
- OpenStack Summit November 2014 Nov 03 – 07, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- OpenStack DefCore Review [interview by Jason Baker]
- How DreamHost is reinventing itself with OpenStack
- Widening the Engagement of the Hidden OpenStack Influencers
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- User role association to tenant fails from dashboard with LDAP backend?
- Deleting Network with Python httplib2 doesn’t work?
- Neutron floating IPs bounded to specific hosts
- Icehouse: How to create a bootable snapshot from a running instance
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Data Processing (Sahara)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment