The TC is busy discussing OpenStack Glance‘s mission, evolving from cataloging and serving Nova disk images to cataloging and serving other artifacts consumed by other OpenStack services, like for example Heat templates. This scope evolution has been under discussion at the last two meetings. Read the other things that keep the TC busy on OpenStack blog.
Matt Fischer set himself a goal to contribute 12 patches to OpenStack during 2014: he reached the goal and shared how he did it.
Speaking of contributing, sending bug reports is a good way to contribute to OpenStack (together with doing code reviews). Kashyap Chamarthy has a very good guide on how to file a useful bug report.
There is a conversation about what is Cinder itself and what’s the role of its drivers. It’s a highly technical debate and a very important one, where I think this promise needs to be reminded: There will be no “Enterprise Edition”. John Griffith and Ken Hui have a lot of interesting things to say about this and I suggest you to read their posts and read the conversation on this proposed specification. Then we may want to have a wider conversation about Software Defined Storage (SDS) and Cinder.
Reports from Previous Events
Security Advisories and Notices
- User token leak to message queue in pyCADF notifier middleware (CVE-2014-4615)
- [OSSN] Session-fixation vulnerability in Horizon when using the default signed cookie sessions
- [OSSN] Nova Network configuration allows guest VMs to connect to host services
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Boden Russell: OpenStack Keystone Workflow & Token Scoping and Managing OpenStack & SoftLayer Resources From A Single Pane of Glass With Jumpgate
- By Andrew Hutchings: Test drive of CoreOS from a Mac and CoreOS Review
- By Terry Wilson: Neutron external sanity checks
- By Kenny Gryp: Sysbench Benchmarking of Tesora’s Database Virtualization Engine
- By murp: Ice, Ice, Baby…installing Icehouse with Mirantis OS 5.0
- By John Dickinson: What eventual consistency means for Swift
- Operation experiences sharing Jun 28, 2014 – Beijing, CN Details
- 4th OpenStack Meetup in Rhône-Alpes Jul 01, 2014 – Grenoble, FR Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 01, 2014 – Jakarta, Indonesia Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Jul 03, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- Paris OpenStack 4th Birthday Jul 04, 2014 – Paris, IDF, FR Details
- Hong Kong OpenStack 4th Birthday Jul 04, 2014 – Hong Kong Island, HK Details
- OpenStack PTL Webinar Icehouse to Juno July 07, 2014 – Webinar Register
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 09, 2014 – Athens, Greece Details
- OpenStack 4th BDay Celebration Roma Jul 10, 2014 – Rome, IT Details
- Meetup OpenStack B’ day and Docker! Jul 10, 2014 – Austin, Texas, US Details
- Happy Birthday OpenStack Jul 10, 2014 – Boston, MA, US Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 10, 2014 – Canberra, Australia Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 10, 2014 – Budapest, Hungary Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 11, 2014 – Melbourne, FL Details
- OpenStack Startup In Xian Jul 12, 2014 – Xian, Shaanxi, CN Details
- OpenStack’s 4th Birthday Party “Bangalore Chapter” Jul 13, 2014 – Bangalore, India Details
- Celebrate OpenStack Icehouse and Juno Jul 15, 2014 – Fort Collins, CO Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 15, 2014 – Fairfield, CT Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 17, 2014 – Atlanta, GA Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Party Jul 17, 2014 – Quito, Ecuador Details
- 4th Birthday OpenStack Beijing Jul 19, 2014 – Beijing, Beijing, CN Details
- OSCON Jul 20 – 24, 2014 – Portland, Oregon Details
- OpenStack 4th Anniversary – Munich Jul 23, 2014 – Munich, DE Details
- Openstack Brazil Day / 4th Birthday Jul 26, 2014 – Porto Alegre, RS, BR Details
- OpenStack 4th Anniversary-Frankfurt Jul 28, 2014 – Frankfurt, DE Details
- OpenStack 4th Anniversary – Berlin Jul 29, 2014 – Berlin, DE Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Aug 07, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- OpenStack workshop at Fedora Flock Aug 09, 2014 – Prague, Czech Republic, CZ Details
- Serviceability, Swift and OpenStack Aug 14, 2014 – Boston, MA, US Details
- OpenStack Conference Benelux 2014 Sep 19, 2014 – Bussum, The Netherlands Details
- OpenStack Summit November 2014 Nov 03 – 08, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- Swift 2.0 release candidate
- Marconi is the first project to pass Python 3.3 Gate
- Stackalytics 0.6 released
- python-heatclient 0.2.10 released
- Designate Gaining Momentum As OpenStack DNS-as-a-Service
- The OpenStack and Linux developer communities compared
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Dependency errors installing Havana nova-compute-kvm packages on Debian Wheezy
- How to resize/flavour an active image without losing my assigned ip?
- Developing simple Puppet Module for Havana ceilometer
- Heat autoscaling template triggers alarm but new instance is not created
- Is there a package like Google Cloud Messaging for OpenStack ?
- Keystone project_additional_attribute_mapping
- ebtables not supported by the kernel
- Can solum be used to spin up Tomcat and associated web App with configurations
- What causes all VMs in a compute node to be inaccessible
- Ceilometer central agent failing
- how can I specify the interval in which the (free) resources of my compute node are updated?
- Is it possible change the database to mongodb only for ceilometer in devstack?
- Converting between image formats kvm -> xen for Rackspace cloud?
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Data Processing (Sahara)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.