The OpenStack Foundation brought 18 people to Hong Kong thanks to the grants offered by the first edition of the Travel Support Program, sponsored by Intel. The Travel Support Program is based on the promise of Open Design and its aim is to facilitate participation of key contributors to the OpenStack Design Summit. The program aims at covering costs for travel and accommodation for key contributors to the OpenStack project to join the community at the Summits.
Lorin Hochstein made what he calls “a modest proposal”: a program to pair up individual OpenStack developers with OpenStack operators to encourage better information flow from ops to devs. Sounds intriguing, it may be a way to try tightening the gap between developers and users of OpenStack. Another proposal trying to address the same issue was sent to the User Committee mailing list. What do you think?
The fine folks at Cloudbase are heavily using VMware Workstation and Fusion for development, demos and PoCs. They have replaced their automation scripts with a fully functional Nova driver and use OpenStack APIs and Heat for the automation. They published the results of their work as a Nova driver on github.com.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Alessandro Pilotti: Multi-node OpenStack RDO on RHEL and Hyper-V – Part 2 (Part 1)
- By Chmouel Boudjnah: Ceph and Swift: Why we are not fighting.
- By Kenneth Hui: Deploy OpenStack (Havana) On Your Laptop Using Vagrant And Chef
- Gartner Data Center Conference Dec 09 – 12, 2013 – Las Vegas, NV, USA Details
- OpenStack Israel Dec 09, 2013 – Tel-Aviv, Israel Details
- Athens OpenStack User Group meeting Dec 12, 2013 – Athens (Greece) Details
- 3rd OpenStack User Group Nordics meetup Jan 15, 2014 – Stockholm, Sweden Details
- Open Mic Spotlight: Sean M. Collins
- Mistral: Workflow-as-a-Service for OpenStack
- The Present and the Future of OpenStack Trove Architecture
- Murano V0.3 Lets You Deploy Linux Applications
- Competition should be core to OpenStack Technical Meritocracy
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Which tools do people use to simplify cloud Operations?
- NotRegistered: Dashboard with slug “router” is not registered.
- disassociating a health monitor
- Adding Attribute to Nova Hosts
- How to setup ceilometer to use mongodb?
- client cannot connect to the Marconi service
- No compute.instance.create.start/end Notifications received by Ceilometer
- Havana neutron gre slow performance
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Is your affiliation correct? Check your profile in the OpenStack Foundation Members Database!
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Hadoop Cluster as a Service (Savanna)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.