The Havana design summit was held mid-April. Since then the Nova team has been documenting the Havana roadmap and going full speed ahead on development of these features. The list of features that developers have committed to completing for the Havana release is tracked using blueprints on Launchpad. At the time of writing, there are 74 blueprints listed that cover a wide range of development efforts. Russell Bryant, Nova Tech Lead, highlights some of them.
Thierry Carrez handles release management for the OpenStack Foundation and is chair of the project’s Technical Committee. Thierry was involved with the earliest incarnations of OpenStack while at Rackspace. Cloudscaling’s team caught up with him at the OpenStack Summit in Portland to get Thierry’s insights into the release cycle, governance and his wish list for the project.
Enovance was asked to migrate and synchronize two swift clusters in order to provide a customer a way to handle a swift migration easily. For that they started a project called swiftsync hosted in github.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Ceph: Incremental Snapshots with RBD
- By eNovance: Swiftsync – A way to synchronize two swift clusters
- By Loïc Dachary: Disaster recovery on host failure in OpenStack
OpenStack In The Wild
A new section of the weekly newsletter dedicated to users of OpenStack. If you want to showcase how OpenStack helps you (or you know somebody that uses OpenStack) please let us know: email, twitter, reddit or avian carrier will do).
- OpenStack Dublin Meetup May 22, 2013 – Dublin, Ireland Details
- 3rd London OpenStack Meetup May 23, 2013 – London, UK Details
- OpenStack DACH Day May 24, 2013 – Berlin Fairgrounds Details
- OpenStack India Meetup May 26, 2013 – Bangalore, India at Anuta Network Details
- OpenStack Israel May 27, 2013 – Tel-Aviv, Israel Details
- Australian OpenStack User Group tri-city Meetup May 27, 2013 – Australia Details
- OpenStack at CeBit Australia May 28 – 30, 2013 – Sidney, Australia Booth in Hall 4
- OpenStack CEE Day May 29, 2013 – Budapest, Hungary Details
- Building an OpenStack Cloud May 30, 2013 – Chicago, IL Details
- OpenStack meeting in Munich Jun 11, 2013 – Munich, Germany Details
- DatacenterDynamics Converged Jun 11, 2013 – Paris, France Details
- GigaOM Structure Jun 19 – 20, 2013 – San Francisco, CA Details
- OpenStack DevCamp Essen Jun 21 – 23, 2013 – Essen, Germany Details
- PyCon Australia – OpenStack Miniconf Jul 05, 2013 – Hobart, Australia Details
- OSCON 2013 Jul 22 – 26, 2013 – Portland, OR Details
- Crowbar cuts OpenStack Grizzly (“pebbles”) branch & seeks community testing
- OpenStack Grizzly Webinar Preview: Availability Zones vs. Host Aggregates
- Nested Virtualization — KVM, Intel, with VMCS Shadowing
- OpenStack Upstream University training
- A new (configurable) cgroups layout for libvirt with QEMU, KVM & LXC
- How to guarantee success of the I Design Summit in HK
- OpenStack Project Meeting:Summary and full logs.
Welcome New Developers
- Hugh Saunders
- Bruno Semperlotti
- YAMAMOTO Takashi, VALinux
- Fujioka Yuuichi, NEC
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Trying to run pki_setup for keystone however the command doesn’t exist
- Authentication credentials are being ignored
- Instance failed to start “qemu-img: Could not open…No such file or directory”
- How to attach volume for instance (iso) on /dev/hda
- Can Openstack Choose the physical resources to boot a VM?
- What causes “cloud-init-nonet gave up waiting for a network device”?
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.