Highlights of the week
OpenStack provides open source software for building public and private clouds. We are constantly moving and growing and very excited to invite newcomers to our community. To this end, the OpenStack Foundation has joined the GNOME Outreach Program for Women. Join the list of mentors, contribute ideas, apply as intern.
Even if Folsom has been out for a while now, Daniel P. Berrangé provided a little more detail on some of the changes he was involved with making to the libvirt driver and what motivated them.
When launching a virtual machine, Nova has the ability to inject various files into the disk image immediately prior to boot up. Nova runs as an unprivileged user, and the guest files to be changed are typically owned as root. This means all the file injection commands need to run via Nova’s rootwrap utility to gain root privileges. It should come as little surprise that this has already resulted in a security vulnerability / CVE against Nova. The solution to this class of security problems is to decouple the file injection code from the host filesystem. Read more on Daniel’s blog post.
Swift 1.7.5 has been released. This release is the work of twenty-seven contributors and includes several important new features and bug fixes.
A quick guide to using the python keystoneclient library and some of its new features, with v2 API examples throughout.
A lot of work went on OpenStack and Hyper-V integration, with the result of bringing back Hyper-V in the Nova sources in time for the Folsom release. Get started with OpenStack and Hyper-V using the installer developed by Cloudbase Solutions.
Tips and tricks
- By Hui Cheng: How to Deploy Hadoop Cluster In Openstack Intances Using Apache Ambari
- By Sébastien Han: OpenStack Retrieve usage statictics
- OpenStack Delhi NCR Meetup Nov 17, 2012 – Delhi, India Details
- Australian OpenStack User Group – Brisbane Technical Meetup Nov 20, 2012 – Brisbane and other cities Details
- OpenStack China Tour: Nanjing Nov 24, 2012 – Nanjing, China Details
- OpenStack Users November meetup Nov 25, 2012 – Bangalore, India Details
- OpenStack Israel Nov 27, 2012 – Tel Aviv, Israel Register
- OpenStack in action! Nov 29, 2012 – Paris, France Register
- Pune OpenStack Meetup Dec 02, 2012 – Pune, India Details
- EMEA OpenStack Day Dec 05, 2012 – London Details
- MediaGoblin adding support to OpenStack Swift
- Report from China OpenStack Tour @ Xi’an
- Question about Oslo library versioning
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
- OpenStack Foundation Board Meeting Unofficial Minutes Nov 16
- OpenStack Foundation Board Meeting Official Minutes Nov 2
Welcome new contributors
Celebrating the first patches submitted this month by:
- Hendrik Volkmer, Cloudbau
- Andrew Bogott, Wikimedia Foundation
- Tim Daly, Jr, Yahoo! Inc
- Darren Worrall
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.