Be a part of history making in the open source community with OpenStack and Rackspace!
OpenStack is a collection of open source technologies for running massively scalable cloud servers services.
At Rackspace, the Open Cloud Company, we run our entire cloud server offering on OpenStack technologies. Rackspace is committed to contributing to and helping the OpenStack community to solidify OpenStack as a well-known, widely adopted cloud infrastructure standard.
As a Rackspace Cloud Server developer, you will contribute ideas/blueprints and codes to OpenStack on behalf of Rackspace. Together with Rackspace, you will help make OpenStack the standard for enterprises and service providers to run their private or public cloud infrastructure.
The ideal candidates are passionate advocates of technology and open source, and have extensive software design and development experience.
• Adds to and extends features of the OpenStack platform for provisioning and managing the life cycle of virtual machines in large scale.
• Facilitates design discussions with developers from Rackspace as well as the OpenStack community and documents own designs with blueprints.
• Actively participates in regular OpenStack meetings and contributes to discussion on the designs from the community.
• Actively provides code review feedbacks to code commits from the OpenStack community and from other Rackspace developers.
• Writes clean, maintainable code that is suitable for continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD), following best practices and guidelines from Rackspace and the OpenStack community.
• Debugs code, troubleshoots problems and develops solutions for production issues.
• Collaborates with other developers, quality engineers (QE), ops engineers and support engineers to ensure smooth deployment, continual operation and fanatical support of quality software.
• Mentors developing developers.
• Contributes to Rackspace strategy on productizing OpenStack features.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
• BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
• 5+ years of experience in designing and writing cutting edge software on Linux platform. Bonus if you have worked with multiple languages like C, C++, Java, Python, or Ruby. Extra bonus if you have contributed to OpenStack!
• Solid knowledge of design patterns and object oriented software design practices.
• Good working knowledge of Internet and operating system security fundamentals.
• Good working knowledge of message queuing technologies such as RabbitMQ and ZeroMQ.
• Good working knowledge of MySQL and SQLAlchemy.
• Good working knowledge of Python threading.
• Solid knowledge on distributed, highly available and massively scalable system design.
• Experience with virtualization, preferably on multiple hypervisors
• Excellent written and verbal skills.
• Experience with working in open source communities: collaboration using mailing lists, IRC and other distributed communications systems.
Rackspace, a world leader in hosting delivers enterprise-level managed hosting, cloud hosting, and e-mail hosting services to businesses of all types and sizes globally. Today we serve thousands of customers from data centers around the world. Rackspace integrates the industry's best technologies and practices for each customer's specific needs delivering it as a service via the company's commitment to Fanatical Support®. We serve as an extension of our customers' IT departments enabling them to focus on their core business. Rackspace was founded in 1998 and since then has had significant growth year after year. There are now over 4,000 Rackers employed worldwide dedicated to providing customers our premier hosting services.
Rackspace Hosting is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.