Sr Principal SW Dev Eng - Cloud OpenStack
Job Number: 1342822
Primary Location: United States-California-Sunnyvale
Yahoo! is focused on creating deeply personal digital experiences that keep more than half a billion people connected to what matters most to them, across devices and around the globe. Yahoo!’s unique combination of Science + Art + Scale connects advertisers to the consumers who build their businesses. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California. For more information, visit the pressroom (pressroom.yahoo.net) or the company's blog, Yodel Anecdotal (yodel.yahoo.com). Yahoo! Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Yahoo! is focused on making the world's daily habits more inspiring and entertaining. By creating highly personalized experiences for our users, we keep people connected to what matters most to them, across devices and around the globe. In turn, we create value for advertisers by connecting them with the audiences that build their businesses.
About the Group
Think about impacting 1 out of every 2 people online - in innovative and imaginative ways that are uniquely Yahoo. We do just that each and every day.
What these means is technology that we use should be able to
• Scale for these users 24x7 globally
• Provide security at low latencies that our users can count on
• Enable ROI for Y! by providing the above at the lowest possible costs
All of these experiences are delivered using our Cloud and Big data technologies that are best of the breed.The OpenStack Engineering team is a group of passionate Engineers in the Cloud Infrastructure Group working closely with other Yahoo! teams by providing them infrastructure on demand using open source OpenStack. Yahoo! is one of the largest scale users of OpenStack and has a growing presence in the community and contributions. Job Responsibilities/The Role/The JobThis role is with the back-end development team in OpenStack engineering team and involves core Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) functionality, APIs, and application logic. You will work on new features, extending and maintaining OpenStack capabilities, improving operation reliability, security mechanisms, improving scalability/ performance, summit patches for bug fixes to the community and review patches from other community members. Other typical projects are integrating with partners and prototyping new ideas. Minimum Job Qualifications (skills/knowledge/abilities required to qualify for the job)
• Experience use of open source tools and systems, test and configure them as required, and where necessary help to refine them.
• Experience in operational reliability, security mechanisms and authorization concepts, automation, optimization, monitoring, configuration management, debugging and troubleshooting in Unix/Linux environment
• Excellent knowledge of system tools (network, storage, system administration, monitoring etc.) in Enterprise Linux, plus an overview of corresponding hardware technologies.
• Experience with large network topology, architecture, deployment and performance.
• Experience developing client/server application
• Strong on script languages (python, bash etc) with emphasis on writing modular, scalable code. Solid on high-level languages (C, Java etc.)
• Experience with relationship database (mysql)
• Experience collaborating with technical teams in remote and international locations.
• Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
• Desire to work with open source community and collaborative merit-base work where all ideas are heard and the best ones are implemented.
Preferable Job Qualifications (skills/knowledge/abilities that are nice to have)
• Experience with and interested in open source software community
• Hands on experience of cloud platforms, such as AWS, OpenStack, or other open source alternatives
• Experience in the virtualization
• Experience with layer 2, layer 3, layer 4 networking protocols and technologies
• Familiar with API web service design
• Conceptual/working knowledge of storage technologies
• Experience with and interested in software/network security
• Experience in performance and scalability engineering
• Experience in NOSQL environments and/or big data analytics
• Familiar with high availability concepts and ideally have experience in setting up high availability solutions.
• Enjoy working with new technologies and helping them to reach maturity
• Experience with Git version control system
• Experience with continuous integration tools such as Jenkins.
• Professional experience of agile methodologies (Scrum).