Yahoo! is focused on making the world's daily habits more inspiring and entertaining. By creating highly personalized experiences for our users, we keep people connected to what matters most to them, across devices and around the globe. In turn, we create value for advertisers by connecting them with the audiences that build their businesses.
About the Group
Think about impacting 1 out of every 2 people online - in innovative and imaginative ways that are uniquely Yahoo. We do just that each and every day.
What these means is technology that we use should be able to
- Scale for these users 24x7 globally
- Provide security at low latencies that our users can count on
- Enable ROI for Y! by providing the above at the lowest possible costs
All of these experiences are delivered using our Cloud and Big data technologies that are best of the breed.
The OpenStack Engineering team is a small group of passionate Engineers in the Cloud Infrastructure Group working closely with other Yahoo! teams by providing them infrastructure on demand using open source OpenStack. Yahoo! is one of the largest scale users of OpenStack and has a growing presence in the community and contributions.
Job Responsibilities/The Role/The Job
This role is with the back-end development team in OpenStack engineering team and involves core Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) functionality, APIs, and application logic. You will work on new features, extending and maintaining OpenStack capabilities, improving operation reliability, security mechanisms, or improving scalability/ performance, summit patches for bug fixes to the community and review patches from other community members. Other typical projects are integrating with partners and prototyping new ideas.
Minimum Job Qualifications (skills/knowledge/abilities required to qualify for the job)
- BS, MS, PhD in CS or related major
- Solid on script languages (python, bash etc) and high-level languages (C, Java etc.),
- Experience and knowledge with relationship database (mysql)
- Backend or server and client software development experience
- Development experience in Unix/Linux environment
- Excellent troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
Preferable Job Qualifications (skills/knowledge/abilities that are nice to have)
- Experience use of open source tools and systems, test and configure them as required
- Experience with and interested in open source software community
- Experience of cloud platforms, such as AWS, OpenStack, or other open source alternatives
- Knowledge of layer 2, layer 3, layer 4 networking protocols and technologies
- Enjoy working with new technologies and helping them to reach maturity