We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join us in creating next generation products and services that enable sharing, curating, remixing, and collaborating on open content.
The Senior Software Engineer is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Product Strategy, and works closely with the rest of the Products & Technology team, including other developers and user experience designers, as well as Creative Commons staff and community volunteers.
This is a rare opportunity to join a brand new team at the ground level. Bring a start-up mentality and lots of energy to build delightful product experiences and help shape the commons to the benefit of everyone.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Architect, design, and implement software products
- Work in a small team, start-up environment
- Work in the open, using public channels and methods to engage the wider community
- Attract, recruit, mentor, and collaborate with volunteers/community
- Collaborate closely with the team and UX lead to build the best possible products
- Collaborate with Director of Product Strategy to ensure that design and implementation meet product and market requirements
- Ensure we are able to ship often and with the highest quality by leading bug triage, release trains, and hacking sprints
- Represent Creative Commons at developer meetups, hackathons, and other forums
- Mastery of Web programming, client and server side
- Experience brainstorming, designing, and quick prototyping of products and features
- Experience scaling complex systems
- Experience designing widely-used public APIs
- Solid understanding of databases
- Track record of implementing team and release processes to estimate work and release on time
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience with node.js
- Experience with and knowing when to use C/C++ or other tools
- Experience building software for mobile platforms
- Track record of building communities around open source projects
Collaborative, community-building atmosphere. Office is an open pod setting in Mountain View, California, easily accessible via car and public transportation. Travel required (including international).
How to apply
Please email any inquiries, your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading of “Senior Software Engineer”. No phone calls, please.