Citrix XenServer is the flagship commercial release of the open-source Xen hypervisor. It’s a virtualization platform that underlies everything from major supermarket chains’ supply systems, multi-thousand seat virtual desktop deployments, super-fast network load balancers, all the way up to some of the largest public and private clouds in the world.
OpenStack is an industry leading modular cloud orchestration layer supported by a growing number of organizations, such as NASA, Rackspace, HP and Red Hat.
The OpenStack team within Citrix is responsible for improving Citrix’s support for OpenStack, across the product portfolio. In particular, we work to improve OpenStack’s support for XenServer, working with the XenServer team in their designs for new cloud-specific features, and exposing them within OpenStack as they are developed.
You will be responsible for software design and development within the OpenStack open-source community, collaborating with the Xen.org community and the XenServer product team. You will design and implement cutting-edge features for both public and private cloud deployments that use OpenStack.
You will also be responsible for aiding and encouraging OpenStack users to use XenServer and the new features that you have developed, including mailing list support, documentation, and blogging.
This is primarily a development role, but includes significant R & D responsibilities, and day-to-day project management and scheduling. You will be a senior technical member of the team in Cambridge, working closely with the Xen and XenServer teams in Cambridge and the open-source communities globally. This is a small team, with responsibility for all aspects of feature development, including reviews and automated QA.
Concretely, you’ll be responsible for:
• Feature prioritization, design and development.
• Collaboration with multiple open-source communities around the world.
• Prototype development through to product-quality feature development, including documentation and automated testing.
• Community leadership and advice.
This is a rare opportunity to participate in a pure open-source project with an open mandate to innovate. Qualifications and RequirementsEssential Skills & Experience
• Bachelor's degree or better, preferably in software engineering or computer science.
• Have several years’ experience of professional software development, (though strong post-doctoral candidates are also encouraged to apply).
• Experience of Python programming – all OpenStack development is in Python.
• Experience within the OpenStack or Xen communities strongly preferred. Other open-source involvement would be a reasonable alternative.
• Candidates must demonstrate deep and broad understanding of the problems involved in building large distributed systems, and would be able to design and develop solutions to those problems.
• Be very quick to learn and understand new technical concepts and technologies.
• Be proficient using the Linux operating system.
Desirable Skills & Experience
• A good grounding in operating systems concepts.
• Datacenter-scale deployments, in particular the networking aspects.
• Knowledge of server virtualization in general, and Xen or XenServer in particular.
• Knowledge of cloud orchestration and environments.
• Experience of technical blogging / mailing list involvement .
The RewardsIn addition to an excellent salary and benefits package, the satisfaction you’ll derive from seeing how your work in helping to make XenServer work well in one of the world’s leading cloud orchestration layers is enormous. Given that we make products that enable people to work from anywhere, we’re flexible about how people work, so if you sometimes need to work from home, that won’t be a problem. Having said that, with a very new office building, free snack machines, a ping pong table, table football table, pool table and a games console, you’ll probably find yourself thoroughly enjoying time at work!