Icehouse, the 9th release of OpenStack, is out! Thanks to the 1200+ contributors. OpenStack Icehouse
We are seeking a Software Development Manager, who will direct, manage, and participate in the day-to-day operations of a team of software developers. You manage all the operational aspects of the software development teams to ensure business and product objectives are met. You provide administrative, technical, and people leadership for multiple, diverse, and sometimes geographically distributed teams. You are responsible for providing feedback to the team and individuals on their performance. You will coach and guide teams to enable future success.
- Manage the web software development team
- Oversee web platform, day to day requests, long term projects, and strategy
- Work closely with project management, UX, and design leads
- Improve SDLC, QA, and deployment practices
- Act as an expert on the web site and web platform in various capacities, strategy meetings, and product development opportunities
- Manages one or more software development teams on projects of moderate to large size and complexity
- Responsible for the product design of one or more product lines
- Recommends most efficient way to produce new products - Evaluates progress and results of development efforts
- Is responsible for hiring, firing, performance appraisals, and pay reviews of software developers.
- Ensures projects are completed on time and according to corporate quality standards
- Facilitates communication upward and across project team including project status, justifications for variances and technical information (architecture, design and implementation objectives)
- Serves as focal point for other departments on project status or other project information
- Organizes project through development of a Project Plan - Ensures projects are completed according to product specifications and are properly documented
- Implementation of the product satisfies the product specifications
- Product architecture and implementation is maintainable and extendible to accommodate future development and maintenance (architecture documentation and architecture design review)
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Experience building high performance web applications at scale- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or a related field; Masters degree preferred
- Experience in managing team/s
- Minimum of 5+ years experience managing software developers
- Product Development Experience
- At least 2 years of experience managing midsized to large enterprise system
- Exceptional management and people skills, ability to manage personnel activities of staff (e.g., hires, mentors, coach, trains, appraises, rewards, motivates, and disciplines, and recommends termination as necessary, 1-on-1's, Performance Reviews, etc of his direct reports)
- Passion for quality and continuous improvement of processes and software, well versed with software engineering practices (e.g. Continuous Engineering, Build/Deploy, Unit Testing, Regression Testing, Test & Staging Environments)
- Demonstrated experience leading a cross-functional team fostering innovation, creativity, and teamwork
- Excel at cross-functional collaboration and leadership
- Agile processes (Scrum, XP, Lean, etc.)
- Partnerships with internal and external teams to deliver products, tools, and technology
- Demonstrated ability in all aspects of hiring - creating staffing plans, writing job descriptions, attracting talent, and making great hires
Rackspace, a world leader in hosting delivers enterprise-level managed hosting, cloud hosting, and e-mail hosting services to businesses of all types and sizes globally. Today we serve thousands of customers from data centers around the world. Rackspace integrates the industry's best technologies and practices for each customer's specific needs delivering it as a service via the company's commitment to Fanatical Support®. We serve as an extension of our customers' IT departments enabling them to focus on their core business. Rackspace was founded in 1998 and since then has had significant growth year after year. There are now over 4,000 Rackers employed worldwide dedicated to providing customers our premier hosting services.
Rackspace Hosting is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.