OpenStack Foundation board member Rob Hirschfeld posted a series of short essays to spark a discussion around defining OpenStack Core. His latest post Twelve straw man positions to frame OpenStack “what is core” discussion moves to the ‘What’ is core from the how andwhy. The twelve positions have been crafted over the course of several weeks and are constantly evolving. Next steps are to expand discussions to the OpenStack Community for input and review at the next Board Meeting on August 6th. Ultimately, we need to close this issue at the next Summit.
The OpenStack Docs Bootcamp offers a deep dive into the technical tools, workflows, and processes we use to create docs.openstack.org and api.openstack.org. Our goal is to give enough information that will create sustaining new core members of OpenStack Documentation. You can register to attend through this form. More details on the OpenStack wiki.
On the 16th July the OpenStack Technical Committee voted to make OpenStack Deployment an official OpenStack Program. Our mission is to “Develop and maintain tooling and infrastructure able to deploy OpenStack in production, using OpenStack itself wherever possible.” For the latest code and documentation visit our incubator repository at https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-incubator. OpenStack Deployment (TripleO) was started by HP as part of our active contribution to OpenStack, in order to fill in core gaps in delivering OpenStack to users.
Update your filters: starting from now the OpenStack General list firstname.lastname@example.org has become email@example.com. We have almost completed the move of all OpenStack mailing lists to our mailman installation on http://lists.openstack.org. There are some known issues still to be removed, though. Please bear with us while we fix them. Thanks to Paul Hummer and the whole Launchpad team at Canonical for making this migration happen.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Adam Young: Troubleshooting PKI token issues in auth_token middleware.
- By Fabien Boucher: Swift ACL usage examples
- By eNovance: How to use temporary urls with Swift
- By Dan Smith: A brief overview of Nova’s new object model (Part 3)
- PuppetConf, August 22, San Francisco, CA, Details (20% discount to OpenStack community)
- 2nd OpenStack User Group Nordics meetup Sep 11, 2013 – Kista, Stockholm Details
- OpenStack on Ales Sep 30 – Oct 01, 2013 – Bend, OR Details
Reports from Previous Events
- Savanna 0.2 release details and screencast
- Open Mic Spotlight: Brian Elliott
- Open Mic Spotlight: Chuck Thier
- Open Mic Spotlight: Devananda van der Veen
- Open Mic Spotlight: Pádraig Brady
- Open Mic Spotlight: Edgar Magaña Perdomo
- OpenStack at large in open source: Voices from OSCON 2013
- Crowbar lays it all out: RAID & BIOS configs officially open sourced
- OpenStack Project Technical Lead Interview Series #6: Anne Gentle, OpenStack Community Documentation Coordinator
- OpenStack Project Meeting: didn’t happen this week
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- When creating a volume from an image, openstack always uses root disk space?
- whats the difference between Policies stored in policy.json and policies that can be created using openstack/identity/v3/policies
- What’s the recommended way to debug LDAP connections to Keystone?
- How to setup security groups for IPv6 with nova-network?
- how does quantum (network-type: vlan) configure ESX-host VMs?
- How to configure multiple Floating IP pools?
- how to install healthnmon on grizzly ?
- What causes keystone to throw UnicodeEncodeError using devstack?
- Openstack services cannot talk to RabbitMQ: Connection refused but log says unreachable?
- IPv6 Support in Grizzly?
- How to set domain name in quantum
- ceilometer can’t get compute.instance.create.start/.end instance
- Is sluggish performance caused by scheduler startup errors?
- How can I have a VM mounting more than one disk image?
- Is it possible to create multiple networks in FLATDHCP mode?
- What’s the best guide to follow to install Openstack using Xen and Libvirt?
Welcome New Developers
Is your affiliation correct? Check your profile in the OpenStack Foundation Members Database!
- Alistair Coles, HP
- Thomas Leaman, HP
- Jeff Sloyer, IBM
- Adin Scannell, Gridcentric
- Sirushti Murugesan, None
- Cyril Roelandt, Enovance
- Gabriel Wainer, HP
- Liang Bo, 99cloud
- Zhang Jinnan, 99cloud
- Alexander Gorodnev, Mirantis
- Ashley McNamara, None
- Bill Owen, IBM
- Jun Park, EIG/Bluehost
- Claxton Correya, Rackspace
- Kashi Reddy, Rackspace
- Jon Snitow, Swiftstack
- Sriram Madapusi Vasudevan, Rackspace
- Sysnet, unknown
- Anju Tiwari, None
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.