I’ve been collecting a lot of good insights talking to directors and managers about how their companies are organized to contribute to OpenStack. For geographic reasons I have mostly gathered comments from people between San Francisco and Silicon Valley and I’d like to expand the research. Fill in this brief survey or contact Stefano Maffulli directly via email (replying to this message).
With the exhaustion of IPv4 addresses, IPv6 is no longer a choice but is now a necessity, even more so in case of a cloud environment. Sridhar Gaddamat shares his notes on how IPv6 support has evolved in OpenStack with references at appropriate places to where you will be able to find more information.
This year, Iccha Sethi, Egle Sigler and Dana Bauer, along with other Rackers and OpenStackers, will lead a workshop for developers on how to deploy humanitarian applications on OpenStack during the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing.
Reports from Previous Events
- Recording & Slides: Turning OpenStack Swift into a VM storage platform
- Deploying OpenStack and Trove (DBaaS) at eBay
- BootstrappingHour: Mock Best Practices
The Road To Paris 2014 – Deadlines and Resources
During the Paris Summit there will be a working session for the Women of OpenStack to frame up more defined goals and line out a blueprint for the group moving forward. We encourage all women in the community to complete this very short survey to provide input for the group.
- Request an invitation letter for VISA
- Reserve hotel rooms
- Call for Proposals: Open Source Ecosystem Design Sessions at the Paris Summit
- Upstream Training in Paris: details and signup form (use the waiting list, we go through it)
- Student & Government/Nonprofit Employee Application for Discounted Registration
- The official Schedule for the Paris Summit is available
- OpenStack as Layers but also a Big Tents but also a bunch of Cats and its follow ups via email and what-poles-for-the-tent
- An Open Letter to the OpenStack Foundation
- PTLs and Project Success in OpenStack
- Some ideas for micro-version implementation
- API standards working group (was: Some ideas for micro-version implementation)
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Christian Huebner: OpenStack Swift and the hash_path_suffix – what can go wrong?
- By Angus Salkeld: Deap dive into using Heat Alarms
- By Flavio Percoco: Zaqar’s path going forward and Zaqar’s pools explained
- By Joe H. Rahme: Swiftpolicy, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the permissions
- By Adalberto Medeiros: Creating your own continuous integration environment for OpenStack
- By Alexis Lee: Heat dependency visualisation
- By Sean Dague, Jay Pipes, Dan Smith: Mock Best Practices
Security Advisories and Notices
- TLS cert verification option not honoured in paste configs (CVE-2014-7144)
- [OSSN 0029] Neutron FWaaS rules lack port restrictions when using protocol ‘any’
- [OSSN 0027] Neutron ARP cache poisoning vulnerability
- [OSSN 0024] Sensitive data is exposed in log statements by python-keystoneclient
- [OSSN 0030] Bash ‘shellshock’ bug can lead to code injection vulnerability
- DEVIEW Sep 29 – 30, 2014 – Seoul, South Korea Details
- Cloud Connect Summit at Interop Sep 29 – Oct 03, 2014 – New York, NY Details
- Primer meetup de OpenStack Spain Oct 01, 2014 – Madrid, ES Details
- Gartner Symposium/ITexpo Oct 05 – 09, 2014 – Orlando, FL Details
- Telco Cloud World Forum Oct 07 – 09, 2014 – Dallas, TX Details
- CloudOpen / LinuxCon Europe Oct 13 – 15, 2014 – Düsseldorf, Germany Details
- Futurecom Oct 13 – 16, 2014 – Sao Paolo, Brazil Details
- ITPro Expo Oct 15 – 17, 2014 – Tokyo, Japan Details
- Rakuten Technology Conference Oct 25, 2014 – Tokyo, Japan Details
- Japan OpenStack User Group Meetup Oct 27, 2014 – Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, JP Details
- Open World Forum Oct 30 – Nov 01, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- OpenStack Summit November 2014 Nov 03 – 07, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- USENIX LISA Nov 09 – 14, 2014 – Seattle, WA Details
- Japan OpenStack User Group Meetup Dec 01, 2014 – Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, JP Details
- Gartner Data Center Conference Dec 02 – 05, 2014 – Las Vegas, NV Details
- New Project -> Kolla: Deploy and Manage OpenStack using Kubernetes and Docker
- OpenStack Speaking and Support Opportunities SAP TechEd && d-code Events
- Informal summary OpenStack Board Meeting
- more notes about Board Meeting – 2014-09-18
- What’s new in OpenStack Juno
- python-heatclient 0.2.12 released
- Release of keystonemiddleware 1.2.0
- Release of python-keystoneclient 0.11.1
- [sahara] client releases 0.7.2 & 0.7.3
- OpenStack 2013.2.4 released
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- How to pass environment file|json via HEAT rest API
- Should not “Recover from a UID/GID mismatch” adjust the kvm group and not the libvirtd group?
- OpenStack Juno using RDO fails installation: AMQP server closed the connection
- Is it correct supporting only a subset of core OpenStack APIs in an OpenStack implementation?
- How to setup neutron flat network
- Is there a utility to clean up orphaned resources?
- TripleO: Error in baremetal installation (permission denied)
Welcome New Reviewers, Developers and Core Reviewers
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.