OpenStack Technical Committee voted Manila into official incubation status. The TC formally accepted the creation of shared file systems program, as well as the incubation of the Manila project.
Sean Dague has a good suggestion for representing OpenStack’s pieces and how they stack up together to realize Infrastructure As A Service. His post expands on the timely topic of what should be part of an integrated release.
Nathan Kinder dives deeper into Keystone. While many would argue that Keystone in OpenStack world has something to do with authentication, Nathan argues that Keystone’s main purpose is authorization within an OpenStack deployment. While it’s true that Keystone can perform authentication itself, Nathan argues that doesn’t mean that it should be used for authentication.
The Road To Paris 2014 – Deadlines and Resources
During the Paris Summit there will be a working session for the Women of OpenStack to frame up more defined goals and line out a blueprint for the group moving forward. We encourage all women in the community to complete this very short surveyto provide input for the group.
- Request an invitation letter for VISA
- Reserve hotel rooms
- Call for Proposals: Open Source Ecosystem Design Sessions at the Paris Summit
- Upstream Training in Paris: details and signup form
- Student & Government/Nonprofit Employee Application for Discounted Registration
- The official Schedule for the Paris Summit is now available
Reports from Previous Events
- Design Summit reloaded
- OpenStack End User Working Group
- Is the BP approval process broken?
- The future of the integrated release
- Design summit format evolution (can we make that time as efficient as midcycle meetups?)
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Matthew Treinish: Triaging and classifying a gate failure
- By Sina Sadeghi: OpenStack Object Storage (Swift) on FreeBSD with ZFS
- By Jamie Lennox: How to use requests-mock
- By Tim Sharp: OpenStack’s Trove: The benefits of this database as a service (DbaaS)
- By Baohua Yang: easyOVS — Provide smart and powerful operations on OpenvSwitch bridges in OpenStack
- Openstack Amsterdam Meetup Sep 03, 2014 – Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, NL Details
- FossetCon Sep 11 – 13, 2014 – Orlando, FL Details
- OpenStack Meeting 2014 Sep 11, 2014 – São Paulo, SP, BR Details
- OpenStack Silicon Valley Sep 16, 2014 – Mountain View, CA, US Details
- OpenStack Conference Benelux 2014 Sep 19, 2014 – Bussum, The Netherlands Details
- OpenStack Summit November 2014 Nov 03 – 07, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- OpenStack Taking Its Place in the Software-Defined Economy
- OpenStack Silicon Valley Featured Track: Networking Fact and Fantasy
- VMware Integrated OpenStack: An OpenStack That VMware Admins Can Love
- heat-cfntools 1.2.8 released
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- unable to download HP Helion prerequisites like VSA blaster and DNaaS
- How to create openstack user using jcloud?
- Is it normal for nova-conductor to be busy?
- How to sync powerdns/designate with all tenants
- How can I force the instance to mount a volume as different device?
- Offering RamDisk Storage Option for Instances
- How to specify exact network port to instance via PCI Passtrough
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.