As Neutron’s Tech Lead (PTL), Kyle Mestery has been mostly heads down working to ensure the Neutron project has a successful Juno release. Increasingly, and especially near OpenStack Juno milestone deadlines, he’s forced to make hard choices and start turning new features down in order to focus on shipping good quality code for Juno. He sent an email to the openstack-dev mailing list this morning addressing the pressure his team is under. He also wrote a longer blog post to expand upon that email.
Last week the bulk of the brain power of the OpenStack QA and Infra teams were all in one room, in real life. This was a great opportunity to spend a bunch of time diving deep into the current state of the Gate, figure out what’s going on, and how we might make things better. Sean Dague, Jim Blair, wElizabeth K. Joseph and bmwiedemann wrote a summary of the week.
CERN is running a large scale private cloud which is providing compute resources for physicists analysing the data from the Large Hadron Collider. With 100s of VMs created per day, the OpenStack scheduler has to perform a Tetris like job to assign the different flavors of VMs falling to the specific hypervisors.
There is a lot of development work going on in Juno in security related areas. Nathan Kinder wrote up some of the more notable efforts that are under way in Keystone, Barbican, Kite and other projects.
The Road To Paris 2014 – Deadlines and Resources
During the Paris Summit there will be a working session for the Women of OpenStack to frame up more defined goals and line out a blueprint for the group moving forward. We encourage all women in the community to complete this very short surveyto provide input for the group.
- Call for Speakers WILL CLOSE SOON – November Summit in Paris
- Applications for Travel Support Program are open until August 18th
- Request an invitation letter for VISA
- Reserve hotel rooms
Security Advisories and Notices
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Sean Dague: Splitting up Git Commits
- By Dimitri Vanoverbeke: DBaaS, OpenStack and Trove 101: Introduction to the basics
- By Mika Ayenson: Openstack Re-Heat
- By Adam Young: Devstack mounted via NFS
- By Arx Cruz: Deleting OpenStack Instances directly from database
- penstack Brazil Day / 4th Birthday Jul 26, 2014 – Porto Alegre, RS, BR Details
- OpenStack 4th Anniversary-Frankfurt Jul 28, 2014 – Frankfurt, DE Details
- OpenStack 4th Anniversary – Berlin Jul 29, 2014 – Berlin, DE Details
- OpenStack 4th BIrthday Party Jul 29, 2014 – Nairobi, Kenya Details
- OpenStack 4th Birthday Celebration Jul 30, 2014 – San Francisco, CA, US Details
- OpenStack LA Meetup4th BD Party Jul 31, 2014 – Pasadena, CA, US Details
- OpenStack miniconf at PyCon AU Aug 01 – 05, 2014 – Brisbane, Queensland, AU Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Aug 07, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- OpenStack workshop at Fedora Flock Aug 09, 2014 – Prague, Czech Republic, CZ Details
- Serviceability, Swift and OpenStack Aug 14, 2014 – Boston, MA, US Details
- OpenStack Trove Day Aug 19, 2014 – Cambridge, MA, US Details
- CloudOpen North America Aug 20 – 22, 2014 – Chicago, IL Details
- OpenStack Silicon Valley Sep 16, 2014 – Mountain View, CA, US Details
- OpenStack Conference Benelux 2014 Sep 19, 2014 – Bussum, The Netherlands Details
- OpenStack Summit November 2014 Nov 03 – 07, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- Women Who Code, San Francisco, looking for mentors
- The Number One Inhibitor to Cloud Storage (Part 2 of 2)!
- OpenStack Infra/QA Meetup
- OpenStack Community Celebrates Four Years!
- That Time When OpenStack Turned Four
- Happy Fourth Birthday, OpenStack!
- OpenStack celebrates fourth birthday
- OpenStack Foundation Tax Status
- python-swiftclient 2.2.0 release
- Juno-2 development milestone available
- OpenStack Board Meeting: July 22, 2014 Board Meeting Summary
- OpenStack Project Meeting: skipped.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Gateway always down
- Using same keystone database with two or more keystone server
- Sahara: Keep sahara-api always running
- How to run tempest tests, “testr” vs “nosetests”?
- Relationship between BM and compute node which place on BM
- How to switch Cinder volumes between controllers?
- How to remove a physical compute node from production OpenStack cluster safely
- Enable RDO in RHEL 6.5, getting ‘exceptions.TypeError’
- Returning exception Block Device Mapping is Invalid
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Data Processing (Sahara)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.