The OpenStack Juno Summit in Atlanta was a major turning point for User Experience professionals working on OpenStack. There were 3 specific design sessions around UX work and 1 talk on the persona work, all with great attendance, and the whole team committed taking a number of actions to take over the course of the Juno development cycle. Liz Blanchard summarized them quite nicely.
The OpenStack Technical Committee (TC) meets weekly and recently decided to publish regular updates about the TC to the OpenStack blog. The first post has news about the graduation process, Glance and Designate.
Lets work together and openly on security review and threat analysis for OpenStack. There are currently scores of security reviews taking place on OpenStack architecture, projects and implementations. Robert Clark sent a call for action to OpenStack developers: “All the big players in OpenStack are conducting their own security reviews, we are all finding things that should be addressed in the community and that we are all missing things that others have found too.” Robert’s call is for all the security people out there in the community to come together and share expertise on Threat Modelling/Analysis in OpenStack.
Reports from Past Events
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By James Slagle: TripleO and Golden Images
- By Sébastien Han: Ceph cache pool tiering: a scalable and distributed cache
- By Cody Bunch: OpenStack LumberJack – Part 1 rsyslog
Security Notes and Advisories
- Keystone privilege escalation through trust chained delegation (CVE-2014-3476)
- [OSSN] Cinder wipe fails in an insecure manner on Grizzly
- Cloud World Forum Jun 17 – 18, 2014 – London, UK Details
- Scalable storage for OpenStack Jun 17, 2014 – Paris, FR Details
- Open source storage solutions Jun 21, 2014 – Bangalore, Karnataka, IN Details
- Hong Kong OpenStack Essential Jun 28, 2014 – Tseung Kwan O, HK Details
- 4th OpenStack Meetup in Rhône-Alpes Jul 01, 2014 – Grenoble, FR Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Jul 03, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- Paris OpenStack 4th Birthday Jul 04, 2014 – Paris, IDF, FR Details
- Hong Kong OpenStack 4th Birthday Jul 04, 2014 – Hong Kong Island, HK Details
- OSCON Jul 20 – 24, 2014 – Portland, Oregon Details
- Openstack Brazil Day / 4th Birthday Jul 26, 2014 – Porto Alegre, RS, BR Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Aug 07, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- OpenStack workshop at Fedora Flock Aug 09, 2014 – Prague, Czech Republic, CZ Details
- OpenStack Conference Benelux 2014 Sep 19, 2014 – Bussum, The Netherlands Details
- OpenStack Summit November 2014 Nov 03 – 08, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- OpenStack 2014.1.1 released
- Juno-1 development milestone available
- Open Mic Spotlight: Ryan Hsu
- OpenStack in the gap between PaaS and IaaS
- What Docker 1.0 means for OpenStack
- How to Turn Customers into Partners
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Using Neutron networking and virtual IPs are exposing themselves to the external network. Why?
- Trove doesn’t work on devstack: ModelNotFoundError: InstanceServiceStatus Not Found
- SAIO probetests fail..
- How to trigger heat ScalingPolicy alarm_url
- Is it safe to ignore the “Service Unavailable” errors when running Swift ssbench?
- launching instance fails “add bridge failed: No such process” if network is assigned
- What’s the difference between shelving vs shutting down an instance?
- Access Denied when creating ext-net thru neutron
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Data Processing (Sahara)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.