Summer is in full swing and there are some great industry events coming up on the OpenStack Marketing calendar, as well as Call for Proposals deadlines!
In the last couple of weeks, Marconi’s team has been doing lots of research around AMQP and the possibility of supporting traditional queuing systems. Flavio Percoco, believed with others that this capability would be useful. However, after digging more into what’s needed and what supporting traditional brokers means for Marconi, the community changed its mind and now believes supporting such systems doesn’t make much sense anymore. This post explains why.
StoryBoard is a new task tracking system which is aimed at the systems where projects are closely related, and OpenStack is definitely a good example of that. In inter-related systems like OpenStack, a feature or a bug usually affects more than one project, so it should be tracked simultaneously across those projects. The proof-of-concept was presented in the Havana release cycle by OpenStack release manager Thierry Carrez, and active development started during the Icehouse development cycle. The project is now driven by three major contributor companies: the OpenStack Foundation, Mirantis, and HP.
The series of patches that will eventually lead to Swift 2.0 merged today. Many Swift contributors have been working on storage policies for quite some time now. It’s a huge feature and improvement to Swift that enables a ton of new use cases. Storage policies allow deployers to configure multiple object rings and expose them to end users on a per-container basis. Deployers can create policies based on hardware performance, regions, or other criteria and independently choose different replication factors on them. A policy is set on a Swift container at container creation time and cannot be changed. Full docs and more details about the roadmap in this message by John Dickinson.
Security Advisories and Notices
- Neutron L3-agent DoS through IPv6 subnet (CVE-2014-4167)
- XSS in Swift requests through WWW-Authenticate header (CVE-2014-3497)
- [OSSN] Session-fixation vulnerability in Horizon when using the default signed cookie sessions
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Erwan Velu: How to benchmark your cloud infrastructure before getting into production (Part 2)
- By James Page: How we scaled OpenStack to launch 168,000 cloud instances
- By Cody Bunch: OpenStack Lumberjack Part 1, Part 2 andPart 3
- By François: How to automatically launch a Team Fortress 2 server with CloudInit
- Open source storage solutions Jun 21, 2014 – Bangalore, Karnataka, IN Details
- 4th OpenStack Meetup in Rhône-Alpes Jul 01, 2014 – Grenoble, FR Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Jul 03, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- Paris OpenStack 4th Birthday Jul 04, 2014 – Paris, IDF, FR Details
- Hong Kong OpenStack 4th Birthday Jul 04, 2014 – Hong Kong Island, HK Details
- OpenStack 4th BDay Celebration Roma Jul 10, 2014 – Rome, IT Details
- Meetup OpenStack B’ day and Docker! Jul 10, 2014 – Austin, Texas, US Details
- Happy Birthday OpenStack Jul 10, 2014 – Boston, MA, US Details
- OSCON Jul 20 – 24, 2014 – Portland, Oregon Details
- Openstack Brazil Day / 4th Birthday Jul 26, 2014 – Porto Alegre, RS, BR Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Aug 07, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- OpenStack workshop at Fedora Flock Aug 09, 2014 – Prague, Czech Republic, CZ Details
- Serviceability, Swift and OpenStack Aug 14, 2014 – Boston, MA, US Details
- OpenStack Conference Benelux 2014 Sep 19, 2014 – Bussum, The Netherlands Details
- OpenStack Summit November 2014 Nov 03 – 08, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- Integrating OpenStack and OpenDaylight
- Why We Craft OpenStack (Featuring Software Developer Craig Vyvial)
- OpenStack Design Guide Book Sprint
- Why POpen for OpenSSL calls
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- How to install HP Helion CE on 4 nodes?
- migrate_to_ml2.py error during upgrade
- Service cinder-backup could not be found on packstack
- How to use Heat to auto scale across multiple datacenters
- multiple authorization node possible?
- How to setup multiple authorization nodes (keystone HA)?
- tempest failing because pypi server timed out?
- Plugin ml2 configuration for neutron on icehouse, debian wheezy
- Failed to load transport driver “rabbit” – ubuntu/icehouse
- swiftclient ‘Container HEAD failed’ with gnocchi api
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Data Processing (Sahara)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.