With another successful OpenStack Summit in the books, Jonathan Bryce reflects on three big areas of maturity that are rapidly emerging for the project: user maturity, software maturity and a focus on cloud operations.
Superuser is a new online publication dedicated to the experiences of individuals who are running OpenStack clouds of all sizes, across all industries. The online publication lives at superuser.openstack.org.
The first release of the DefCore Core Capabilities Matrix (DCCM) was revealed at the Atlanta summit. At the Summit, Joshua McKenty and Rob Hirschfeld had a session which examined what this means for the various members of the OpenStack community. A rather lengthy post reviews the same advisory material.
One of the requests in Atlanta was to setup carefully listening ears for developers and users alike so they can highlight roadblocks, vent frustration and hopefully also give kudos to people, suggest solutions, etc. The Community Managers have added two 1 hour slots to the OpenStack Meetings calendar
- Tuesdays at 0800 UTC on #openstack-community (hosted by Tom)
- Fridays at 1800 UTC on #openstack-community (hosted by Stefano)
so if you have anything you’d like the Foundation to be aware of please hop on the channel and talk to us. If you don’t/can’t use IRC, send us an email and we’ll use something else: just talk to us.
Reports from Juno Summit – Atlanta 2014
- Atlanta Summit, Day 1: Introducing Superusers, the Marketplace
- Atlanta Summit, Day 2: Speed and Innovation
- Atlanta Summit, Day 3: Learning from the CommunityAtlanta Summit, Day 4: New Skills, Bigger Goals
- Rob Hirschfeld: OpenStack ATL Recap to the 11s: the danger of drama + 5 challenges & 5 successes
- Maish Saidel-Keesing: OpenStack Summit – Attendees and Sessions
- Leezia Dhalla: OpenStack Isn’t Just For Boys [Video]
- Kenneth Hui: A Busy But Productive OpenStack Summit
- Ben Nemec: Juno Summit Thoughts
- Tristan Cacqueray: Vulnerability Management in Juno
- Scott Sanchez: Three Key Observations From OpenStack Summit Atlanta
- Douglas Jarvis: OpenStack Summit Recap Day 3: No Halftime When Changing Enterprise Computing
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Daniel P. Berrangé: gerrymander 1.1 “Compulsory serving of asparagus at breakfast” – a client API and command line tool for gerrit and viewing comments on a gerrit review without bots and defining default command options and adding custom commands
- By Lars Kellogg-Stedman: Firewalld, NetworkManager, and OpenStack and Solved: Open vSwitch and persistent MAC addresses and Flat networks with ML2 and OpenVSwitch
- By Aaron Rosen: Testing cross project related patches in gate before merging!
- By Assaf Muller: OVS ARP Responder – Theory and Practice
- By Adam Young: Kerberizing Keystone in HTTPD
- By gaea: Authenticating the python ceilometer client against the Openstack APIs – bloody lambda functions!
- By Sean Dague: Processing OpenStack GPG keys in Thunderbird
- By Ramon Acedo: Default User and Password in Ubuntu Cloud Images
Reports from Other Events
- OpenStack in Action May 28, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- OpenStack CEE Day May 28, 2014 – Budapest, Hungary Details
- SFBay OpenStack Hackathon #OSSFO May 29, 2014 – Details
- #1 OpenStack Day May 30, 2014 – Milan, Italy Details
- OpenStack Israel Event Jun 02, 2014 – Herzliya, Israel Details
- OpenStack UK Day in London Jun 04, 2014 – London, UK Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Jun 05, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- SFBay OpenStack Hackathon #OSSFO Jun 12, 2014 – Details
- Cloud World Forum Jun 17 – 18, 2014 – London, UK Details
- Cloud World Forum Jun 17 – 18, 2014 – London, UK Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Jul 03, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- OSCON Jul 20 – 24, 2014 – Portland, Oregon Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Aug 07, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- OpenStack Summit November 2014 Nov 03 – 08, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- New release of python-swiftclient (now with py3 support)
- Open vSwitch on Hyper-V
- Restricting the abilities of Keystone tokens
- identity_uri in Auth Token Middleware
- The Copyrightability Of APIs In The Land Of OpenStack
- Open Mic Spotlight: Pavlo Shcelokovskky
- SUSE Rules the Stack. By a mile.
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
Security Notes and Advisories
- [OSSG] Security note OSSN-0014 needs Cinder sign off
- [OSSA 2014-015] Keystone user and group id mismatch (CVE-2014-0204)
- [OSSA 2014-016] Heat template URL information leakage (CVE-2014-3801)
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Neutron doesn’t update floatingip with multiple L3 agent
- Creating an Openstack user with only reboot permissions
- Nodepool Raising SSHException
- Steps in deploying neutron ml2 plugin driver
- “Host key verification failed” while migrating instance to Icehouse
- How to forward traffic from eth0 into the bridge?
- [Error: Unexpected vif_type=binding_failed]
- Install devstack with xenserver failed
- swift 1.13.0 delete account failed –504 Gateway timeout
- Unable to find procedure for LBaaS in icehouse
- How to login to Sahara VM via broswer console?
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Data Processing (Sahara)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.