We’re kicking off the third round of the OpenStack User Survey this month! If you are an OpenStack user or have customers with OpenStack deployments, please take a few minutes to respond to our User Survey and pass it along to your network. The goals of the survey are to better define the OpenStack user community and requirements, facilitate engagement and communication among the user community, and uncover new use cases or OpenStack users who might be willing to tell their stories publicly.
A new addition to the busy times in Atlanta: people who run clouds have a place to congregate at the Summit and swap best practices, architectures, ideas and give feedback. The Ops Meetup will be the place for sessions designed to be full-room discussions: there will be no presenters and salient notes will be collaboratively recorded on Etherpads, just like in the Design Summit. Register for the OpenStack Summit, then turn up Monday and Friday to room B308 in Atlanta.
At this year’s OpenStack Summit we’re going to be offering space to Open Source projects that are important to the OpenStack community. We’re calling it Open Source @ OpenStack, and it’s an opportunity for these projects to hold small design summits with their community members. We’re impressed by the number of projects that have grown in the OpenStack ecosystem, and want to continue the practice we started with StackForge of fostering these projects. We have space and time available for half day sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday, both morning and afternoon. If you have a project that you think qualifies for this space, we invite you to submit a proposal for Open Source @ OpenStack.
The road to Juno Summit – Atlanta 2014
- Redeem your invite code NOW or pay extra to join the Summit! Check your inbox and spam folder if you contributed code before March 3rd for your invitation.
- No more batch invites will be sent.
- Applying for Visa? Looking for accommodation in Atlanta? Visit http://openstack.org/summit
- Check the official agenda
Understanding the obstacles to join OpenStack Documentation Team
We are very interested in increasing the doc contributions and making our doc processes work well for OpenStack as it scales. I believe we can take actions based on the questions here, please send the link to OpenStack contributors as far as you can! Please take this survey to understand the obstacles to doc contributions.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Haselwanter Edmund: Howto Create A Minimal Viable OpenStack Deployment With Devstack In Your Local LAN
- By Sylvain Bauza: Hook for tox compliancy before a git-review
- By Cody Bunch: Autoscaling with Heat on Devstack and a very useful collection of URLs related to Heat
- By Haselwanter Edmund: SUSECloud Part 1 – Install The Multi Node OpenStack/Ceph Environment and SUSECloud Part 2 Install The OpenStack Services And Ceph On the Multinode Environment Point And Click Style
- By Kyle Mestery: Workaround for ODL in Neutron
- By Nathan Kinder: SSL/TLS Everywhere – visions of a secure OpenStack
- By Jason Baker : Storing data in the cloud with GlusterFS and OpenStack Swift
- By Adam Young: Public Key Document Signing for Oslo Messaging
- By Ben Nemec: Python 2.6 and Tox
- By Florent Flament : Openstack Resources Cleanup Script
- By Everett Toews: DevStack Havana on the Rackspace Cloud
- By Andrew Hutchings: Live Kernel Patching Solutions
- By Boden Russell: Managing OpenStack & SoftLayer Resources From A Single Pane of Glass With Jumpgate
- By Florent Flament: Windows Images for OpenStack
Reports from Previous Events
- OpenStack Meetup, Coimbatore – 31 March 2014
- Google+ Hangout Recording: Docker: Fundamentals & OpenStack Integration
- OpenStack Trademark Update (DefCore) Apr 08, 2014 – San Francisco, CA + online Details
- PyCon Apr 09 – 17, 2014 – Montreal, Canada Details
- OpenStack Boston Meetup Apr 09, 2014 – Boston, MA Details
- OpenStack India Meetup Apr 12, 2014 – Mumbai, India Details
- SFBay OpenStack Hackathon #OSSFO Apr 17, 2014 – Details
- Icehouse Release Party! Apr 17, 2014 – Amsterdam, Netherlands Details
- Running OpenStack User Groups Apr 17, 2014 – Online Details
- SAFNOG Apr 22 – 23, 2014 – Johannesburg, South Africa Details
- OpenStack India Meetup Apr 26, 2014 – Bangalore, India Details
- OpenStack Day Mexico Apr 29, 2014 – Mexico City, Mexico Details
- OpenStack Paris Meetup Apr 29, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track May 01, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- SFBay OpenStack Hackathon #OSSFO May 01, 2014 – Details
- OpenStack DACH Day at LinuxTag 2014 May 09, 2014 – Berlin, Germany Details
- OpenStack Summit May 2014 May 12 – 16, 2014 – Atlanta, GA Details
- OpenStack Icehouse RC1 for Ubuntu 14.04 and 12.04
- Old stable/grizzly branches removed as of March 30, 2014
- SUSE Cloud 3 Admin Appliance
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- How does controller track compute nodes
- In heat, how to enable the instance in the InstanceGroup to use block device
- How to access external network from virtual machines with neutron devstack havana
- How does ceilometer accumulate network stats?
- How to disable anti-spoofing mechanism (Especially in DevStack)
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Data Processing (Sahara)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.