Still a few more hours to fill in the OpenStack User Survey.
The bug discovered affecting OpenSSL and “breaking” internet doesn’t directly touch OpenStack but can lead to OpenStack compromise. The width of the problem discovered this week is extremely wide though and I think it’s worth spending some more time learning about it. Mark McLoughlin has collected an impressive amount of links where you can learn more.
Nathan Kinder started a conversation about how to deal with high-level security related questions about OpenStack.
How an open source project is governed can matter just as much as the features it supports, the speed at which it runs, or the code that underlies it. Some open source projects have what I call a “benevolent dictator for life.” Others are outgrowths of corporate projects that, while open, still have their goals and code led by the company that manages it. And of course, there are thousands of projects out there that are written and managed by a single person or a small group of people for whom governance is less of an issue than insuring project sustainability.
Marrying OpenStack with one of the most popular programming languages on the planet. Write applications to interact with OpenStack public and private clouds, using the APIs. The OpenStack SDK for PHP is meant to be by the community and for the community. It will be able to work with clouds from a variety of vendors or vanilla OpenStack setups.
Rip. Shred. Tear. Let’s gather up the obstacles to documentation contribution and tear them down one by one. I’ve designed a survey with the help of the OpenStack docs team to determine blockers for docs contributions. If you’ve contributed to OpenStack, please fill it out.
The road to Juno Summit – Atlanta 2014
- Applying for Visa? Looking for accommodation in Atlanta? Visit http://openstack.org/summit
- Check the official agenda
- Call for Proposals Open Source @ OpenStack Summit
Security Advisories and Notices
- XSS in Horizon orchestration dashboard (CVE-2014-0157)
- RBAC policy not properly enforced in Nova EC2 API (CVE-2014-0167)
- Remote code execution in Glance Sheepdog backend (CVE-2014-0162)
- Keystone DoS through V3 API authentication chaining (CVE-2014-2828)
- Heat templates with invalid references allows unintended network access
- OpenSSL Heartbleed vulnerability can lead to OpenStack compromise
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Steve Hardy: Heat auth model updates – part 1 Trusts
- By Adam Young: Teaching Horizon to Share
- By Christian Berendt: An other Vagrant box with Devstack and Ubuntu 14.04
- By How To Store Incremental Backups On The Cloudwatt Object Store Using Duplicity
- By Cameron Seader: Quickly Setting-up an OpenStack Cloud with the SUSE Cloud 3 Admin Appliance
- By Sean Dague: Devstack Vagrant
- By Cody Bunch: How to Make A LOT of Devstack with Vagrant
Reports from Previous Events
- OpenStack Meetup, Coimbatore – 31 March 2014
- Nordic OpenStack meetup 3 April – hosted by Elastx and Solidfire
- PyCon Apr 09 – 17, 2014 – Montreal, Canada Details
- OpenStack India Meeting Apr 12, 2014 – Mumbai, India Details
- San Antonio OpenStack Meeting Apr 16, 2014 – San Antonio, TC Details
- SFBay OpenStack Hackathon #OSSFO Apr 17, 2014 – Details
- Icehouse Release Party! Apr 17, 2014 – Amsterdam, Netherlands Details
- Running OpenStack User Groups Apr 17, 2014 – Online Details
- SAFNOG Apr 22 – 23, 2014 – Johannesburg, South Africa Details
- Philly OpenStack Meeting Apr 24, 2014 – Philadelphia, PA Details
- OpenStack India Meeting Apr 26, 2014 – Bangalore, India Details
- OpenStack Day Mexico Apr 29, 2014 – Mexico City, Mexico Details
- OpenStack Paris Meeting Apr 29, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track May 01, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- SFBay OpenStack Hackathon #OSSFO May 01, 2014 – Details
- OpenStack Brasil User Group Meeting @ FISL15 May 07 – 10, 2014 – Porto Alegre, Brasil Details
- OpenStack DACH Day at LinuxTag 2014 May 09, 2014 – Berlin, Germany Details
- OpenStack Summit May 2014 May 12 – 16, 2014 – Atlanta, GA Details
- Why We Craft OpenStack (Featuring Rackspace Principal Architect Kurt Griffiths)
- OpenStack Israel Podcast, Episode 7
- MongoDB 2.6 is out, Marconi will benefit from it
- Why I Support Mark McClain for OpenStack Neutron PTL
- OpenStack Day Events April – May – June 2014
- Take the OpenStack User Survey and Change the (OpenStack) World
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
|Jason Kincl||Manish Godara|
|Choe, Cheng-Dae||Jason Ni|
|Juan Antonio Osorio Robles||vishal yadav|
|Victor Boivie||Aimon Bustardo|
|Marc Abramowitz||Igor Duarte Cardoso|
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Data Processing (Sahara)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The colorful design will debut on T-Shirts at PyCon in Montreal this week, and will be distributed at upcoming events worldwide.
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.