Looking for a way to contribute to OpenStack? Coding is just one of the available options. In fact, there are several non-coding activities like design, documentation, marketing and internationalization. For more details about this, go ahead and check out the how to contribute wiki page.
The OpenStack Foundation is delivering a training program to accelerate the speed at which new OpenStack developers are successful at integrating their own roadmap into that of the OpenStack project. If you’re a new OpenStack contributor or plan on becoming one soon, you should sign up for the next OpenStack Upstream Training in Atlanta, May 10-11. Participation is strongly advised also for first time participants to OpenStack Design Summit.
OpenStack Release Manager Thierry Carrez explains why OpenStack project does something so ‘anti-agile’ as feature freeze weeks before the release.
OpenStack reached the considerable size of 1.3 million lines of code, mostly python. Oslo PTL Doug Hellmann shares his thoughts on how to keep OpenStack complexity manageable.
The road to Juno Summit – Atlanta 2014
- Redeem your invite code NOW! Check your inbox and spam folder if you contributed code before January 25 for your invitation.
- Next batch of invites will be sent next week.
- Applying for Visa? Looking for accommodation in Atlanta? Visit http://openstack.org/summit
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Anne Gentle: Finding an OpenStack Mentor
- By Thomas Oulevey: Enable Cinder-multi-backend with an existing Ceph backend.
- By Mikhail Chernik: Edge of the Stack: Understanding IPMI, the Underpinning of Bare Metal Provisioning
- By Kevin Jackson: Inside My Home Rackspace Private Cloud, OpenStack Lab, Part 4: Neutron
- By Gonéri Le Bouder: How to use eDeploy roles with Vagrant
Reports from Previous Events
- OpenStack Rhône-Alpes Meet-up #3: Vers Icehouse Mar 13, 2014 – Lyon, France Details
- Eventually OpenStack for M&E Mar 17, 2014 – Santa Monica, CA Details
- Paris OpenStack Meetup Mar 19, 2014 – Paris, France Details
- SFBay OpenStack Hackathon #OSSFO Mar 20, 2014 – Details
- Open Source Festival Mar 29, 2014 – University at Albany, NY Details
- Cloud Connect Summit at Interop Mar 31 – Apr 01, 2014 – Las Vegas, Nevada Details
- World Hosting Days Apr 01 – 03, 2014 – Rust, Germany Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Apr 03, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- SFBay OpenStack Hackathon #OSSFO Apr 03, 2014 – Details
- OpenStack Nordics Meetup Apr 03, 2014 – Stockholm, Sweden Details
- PyCon Apr 09 – 17, 2014 – Montreal, Canada Details
- SFBay OpenStack Hackathon #OSSFO Apr 17, 2014 – Sunnyvale,CA Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track May 01, 2014 – Sunnyvale,CA Details
- OpenStack DACH Day at LinuxTag 2014 May 09, 2014 – Berlin, Germany Details
Popular OpenStack Videos of the Week
- Swift 1.13.0 released
- Icehouse-3 development milestone available
- python-heatclient 0.2.8 released
- python-novaclient 2.17.0 released
- Cloudbase bringing OpenStack to University of Timisoara
- Which Open vSwitch?
- Open Mic Spotlight: Ghe Rivero
- The potential for OpenStack in the enterprise
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- OpenStack Routing for VMs running Docker Containers. Is there a smarter way of doing this?
- Where can I find good info on setting up Openstack with GFS2
- Using gluster with RDO and Foreman
- Is it possible to change the hypervisor settings in devstack?
- Help With Packstack All-in-one External Access and 2 Network Interfaces
- remove volume tab on Project Manage Compute on Horizon dashboard
- How to create a VM with a prepopulated volume
- openstack swift small objects put performance
- Why are nova and neutron services going down from time to time?
- ML2 driver with GRE not working on multi-node installation
- How to minimize the chance that a file can’t be read during Swift rebalance process?
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Hadoop Cluster as a Service (Sahara)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.