Icehouse 3 is upon us, and as someone that is on a bunch of core review teams, it means a steady drum beat of everyone asking how do they get core reviewers to review their code. Sean Dague explains quite well why you should be doing code reviews.
In today’s connected environments, attacks on compute infrastructure are ubiquitous. Major players have been compromised by hackers and malware, with damages inflicted both to their reputation and their business. Protecting the infrastructure from external and internal threats is an important part of operating production grade cloud environments. Christian Huebner introduces how OpenStack integrates with TXT.
Upgrading a nearly 50,000 core cloud from Grizzly to Havana can be done with a series of steps, each of which can have short periods of reduced functionality but with constant VM availability. Tim Bell tells us how CERN upgraded its OpenStack cloud.
Python 3 has been around for about 5 years, and we have excellent reasons to make sure OpenStack runs well on it. Unfortunately, this is not the case. In his article, Cyril Roelandt explains what works, what doesn’t, and what you can do to help.
OpenStack has been selected to be a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2014. Thanks to the hard work of many contributors we could join GSoC for the first time.
The road to Juno Summit – Atlanta 2014
- Redeem your invite code NOW! Check your inbox and spam folder if you contributed code before January 25 for your invitation.
- Next batch of invites will be sent regularly after each milestone until feature freeze.
- It’s time to vote for presentations you wish to see in Atlanta.
- Applying for Visa? Looking for accommodation in Atlanta? Visit http://openstack.org/summit
- Applications for Travel Support Program. Apply by Mar 2.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Evgeniya Shumakher: Building test environments with OpenStack
- By Christian Hoge: Deployment to Upgrade: Puppet OpenStack Modules Are Your Friends
- By Victor Stinner: Use the new asyncio module and Trollius in OpenStack
- By Guillaume: Running an OpenGL application on a GPU-accelerated Nova Instance (Part 2)
- By Lars Kellogg-Stedman: Multinode OpenStack with Packstack
- By Oleg Gelbukh: Benchmarking OpenStack at megascale: How we tested Mirantis OpenStack at SoftLayer
- By Adam Young: Using Certmonger to Generate a selfsign Cert for CMS
- By Kevin Jackson: Inside My Home Rackspace Private Cloud, OpenStack Lab, Part 2 and Part 3
- By Jamie Lennox: Client Session Objects
- By Jay Pipes: Setting Up an External OpenStack Testing System – Part 2
- By Dimitar Vlassarev: When is RAID Not Enough?
Reports from Previous Events
- OpenStack India Meetup Mar 01, 2014 – Bangalore, India Details
- OpenStack India Meetup Mar 01, 2014 – Chennai, India Details
- Athens OpenStack User Group meeting Mar 05, 2014 – Athens, Greece Details
- Eventually OpenStack for M&E Mar 17, 2014 – Santa Monica, CA Details
- SFBay OpenStack Hackathon #OSSFO Mar 20, 2014 – Details
- Open Source Festival Mar 29, 2014 – University at Albany, NY Details
- Cloud Connect Summit at Interop Mar 31 – Apr 01, 2014 – Las Vegas, Nevada Details
- World Hosting Days Apr 01 – 03, 2014 – Rust, Germany Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track Apr 03, 2014 – Sunnyvale, CA Details
- SFBay OpenStack Hackathon #OSSFO Apr 03, 2014 – Details
- PyCon Apr 09 – 17, 2014 – Montreal, Canada Details
- SFBay OpenStack Hackathon #OSSFO Apr 17, 2014 – Sunnyvale,CA Details
- SFBay Meetup – Beginner track May 01, 2014 – Sunnyvale,CA Details
Popular OpenStack Videos of the Week
- Outreach Program for Women – May-Aug 2014
- GCE API – Available Now on OpenStack StackForge
- OpenStack Havana 2013.2.2 Hyper-V compute installer released!
- python-heatclient 0.2.7 released
- python-novaclient 2.16.0 released
- A beginners guide to understanding OpenStack
- Open Mic Spotlight: Derek Higgins
- The dilemma of open innovation
- How does Horizon Stack up versus other Cloud Computing UIs?
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- How do nova-cells really works?
- what filters spoofed traffic?
- Can quantum be run on child cells to create separate L2fabric in each cell?
- RDO: Packstack (fedora) neutron local flat typedrives
- Controlling physical switch ports with Neutron?
- VMware vnc ports using VCDriver
- How to interpret actual and rss memory in diagnostic results?
- Trying to change user credentials using REST API but the response is 404 not found?
- Can’t fetch the device UUID when deploying the baremetal node
- Autoscaling and load balancing with Heat
- DHCP problem: instances cannot obtain a specific IP
- Is it acceptable to adjust policy.json to allow non-root Savanna access to cinder?
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Hadoop Cluster as a Service (Savanna)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.