Each January two of the Foundation member classes hold elections to determine their Board representatives for 2014. The Gold Members held their election on January 6th-7th while Individual Members elected their Directors between Jan 12th-17th.
Today the 2014 election of Individual Directors has closed and the official results are in. The elected and appointed directors will be seated at the next board meeting, at 12:00pm PST on January 30th. Thank you to everyone who participated in this year’s Individual Director election and congratulations to our new and returning directors. The composition of the board is on OpenStack blog.
Marching rapidly to our next big gathering: the OpenStack Summit will be held in Atlanta, Georgia May 12-16, 2014. The official page for Atlanta contains the latest announcements. The Summit is a five-day conference for OpenStack contributors, enterprise users, service providers, application developers and ecosystem members. Attendees can expect visionary keynote speakers, 200+ breakout sessions, hands-on workshops, collaborative design sessions and lots of networking. Keynote sessions will take place Monday and Tuesday, the main conference will run Monday – Thursday. The Design Summit, a special track for active technical contributors to plan the next software release, will run Tuesday – Friday.
One of our awesome intern from the Outreach Program for Women (OPW) shares her experience towards solving a problem while getting stared with OpenStack.
Developers may have noticed issues with our gate and in order to improve the situation Sean Dague proposed a Gate Blocking Bug Fix Day on Jan 27th. All developers are encouraged to focus on fixing bugs on the OpenStack CI infrastructure.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Cristian Falcas: script to build epubs from openstack documentation
- By Andreas Jaeger: Validating OpenStack API projects
- By Lars Kellogg-Stedman: Stupid OpenStack Tricks and Direct access to Nova metadata
- By Konstantin Danilov: Edge of the Stack: Improve Performance of Python Programs by Restricting Them to a Single CPU
- By Fabien Boucher: OpenStack Swift as backend for Git – Part 1
- By Aditya Patawari: OpenStack 101: How to Setup OpenStack Swift (OpenStack Object Storage Service) and OpenStack 101: How to Setup OpenStack Keystone (OpenStack Identity Service)
- By James Slagle: Intro to some Python dependencies of OpenStack
- 3rd OpenStack User Group Nordics meetup Jan 15, 2014 – Stockholm, Sweden Details
- Austin OpenStack User Group Meetup Jan 22, 2014 – Austin, Texas Details
- Boston OpenStack User Group Meetup Jan 22, 2014 – Boston, MA Details
- OpenStack: Breaking into the Enterprise Forum Jan 29, 2014 – Mountain View, CA Details
- Implementing OpenStack, Jan 29, 2014 12pm PST – [Webinar] Details
- FOSDEM Feb 01 – 02, 2014 – Bruxelles, Belgium Details
- OpenStack Days – Tokyo 2014 Feb 13 – 14, 2014 – Tokyo, Japan Details
- Korea OpenStack Day Feb 18, 2014 – Seoul, South Korea Details
- OpenStack India Meetup Feb 22, 2014 – Hyderabad, India Details
- Open Cloud Summit at IBM Pulse Feb 23 – 26, 2014 – Las Vegas, Nevada Details
- Mobile World Congress Feb 24 – 27, 2014 – Barcelona, Spain Details
- Cloud Connect Summit at Interop Mar 31 – Apr 01, 2014 – Las Vegas, Nevada Details
- World Hosting Days Apr 01 – 03, 2014 – Rust, Germany Details
- PyCon Apr 09 – 17, 2014 – Montreal, Canada Details
- OpenStack Summit May 2014 May 12 – 16, 2014 – Atlanta, GA Details
- Cloud World Forum Jun 17 – 18, 2014 – London, UK Details
- [OSSA 2014-002] Swift TempURL timing attack (CVE-2014-0006)
- [OSSA 2014-001] Nova live snapshots use an insecure local directory (CVE-2013-7048)
Reports from Previous Events
- StoryBoard sprint in Brussels
- Open Mic Spotlight: Jay Lau
- Improving Trove Architecture Design with Conductor Service
- The remarkable growth of Swift – and what it means in 2014 (and beyond)
- Exploring why people contribute to OpenStack
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- How to create multiple regions using Packstack on Havana
- how to plot rally results ?
- How to interpret “sample user_id” in Ceilometer documentation
- Neutron fails to connect to AMQP Server on Fedora 20
- Launch instances using boto
- SSH Access Permission denied
- What’s the status about Instance Resource Quota now?
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Is your affiliation correct? Check your profile in the OpenStack Foundation Members Database!
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Hadoop Cluster as a Service (Savanna)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.