PTL Project Update Webinars Start Next Week
To allow for broader participation, we’ve scheduled post-Summit webinars with the Project Team Leads (PTLs) to provide the latest project updates rather than schedule these tracks during the Summit. We’ll be trying out this new format starting next week. Join us Tuesday and Thursday at 7 a.m. Pacific/10 a.m. Eastern to discuss Neutron, Keystone, Nova, and Swift. Then we’ll take a break for the holidays and finish off with the remaining OpenStack projects finishing January 9. More details will be available Monday, check the blog for sign-up links. If you miss these events, they will be recorded and the recording links shared in a future update.
Since it’s summertime in the southern hemisphere, we can now announce our next round of Outreach Program for Women internships! We have four interns and four mentors this time around. Many thanks to HP, the OpenStack Foundation, and Rackspace for funding our four. HP also stepped in this round and made it possible for more of the nine participating organizations to select interns, including OpenStack. Plus, Red Hat developers are mentoring our interns. Anne Gentle asked each intern, what do you see when you look above your screen? Find out on the blog post!
The team released the new version of OpenStack Object Storage service: 26 developers worked on it, 5 are new contributors. Lots of changes. Congratulations to the team.
If anyone is looking for a limited-scope infra project to get more familiar with OpenStack Infra, Thierry suggested to develop a new tool to help manage the OpenStack Meetings calendar. Currently people modify a wiki page and some other people are subscribed to page changes and manually reflect them in a Google Calendar, which can be downloaded/imported as .ics. This is extremely error-prone and quite time-consuming.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Adam Young: Load up the Keystone User Table
- By Kashyap Chamarthy: Script to create Neutron tenant networks
- By Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph: OpenStack Infrastructure December Bug Day
- By Mirantis: OpenStack Benchmarking on SoftLayer with Rally
- By Loïc Dachary: wget on an OpenStack instance hangs ? Try lowering the MTU
Reports from previous events
- Swiss and Rhone Alpes User Group Meeting at CERN
- OpenStack in Action, Paris (5DEC2013) – quick recap
- Neutron in Production: Work in Progress or Ready for Prime Time?
- OpenStack Community Pavilion at Gartner Data Center Conference
Security Advisories and Notes
- [OSSA 2013-036] Insufficient sanitization of Instance Name in Horizon (CVE-2013-6858)
- [OSSA 2013-035] Heat ReST API doesn’t respect tenant scoping (CVE-2013-6428)
- [OSSA 2013-034] Heat CFN policy rules not all enforced (CVE-2013-6426)
- [OSSA 2013-033] Metadata queries from Neutron to Nova are not restricted by tenant (CVE-2013-6419)
- [OSSA 2013-032] Keystone trust circumvention through EC2-style tokens (CVE-2013-6391)
- [OSSN] Glance allows sharing of images between projects without consumer project approval
- Open Mic Spotlight: Zhang Hua
- What’s New In Stackalytics (12/12/13) – Correction(s)!
- The 2014 OpenStack Individual Member Director Elections and Red Hat
- Murano Demo: Telnet Server on Fedora Linux
- Stack mobile 1.0, a GUI to manage OpenStack clouds on Google Play
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- How do I connect my OpenStack Grizzly cinder node to HP 3PAR 7200 without Domain License?
- Combination Active Directory / SQL authentication for Keystone
- Keystonclient upgrade problems with babel
- can I access the data stored on swift through a web browser
- NeutronClientException when booting instances
- Deploying WordPress_Single_Instance.template with Heat installs old openssl package
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Is your affiliation correct? Check your profile in the OpenStack Foundation Members Database!
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Hadoop Cluster as a Service (Savanna)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.