As a former vSphere and now OpenStack Architect, Kenneth Hui has been following with much interest the courtship ritual that VMware has been performing with the OpenStack project. Dan Wendlandt and the entire OpenStack Team at VMware has been busy courting the OpenStack community at various venues, including the recent OpenStack Summit. For the Grizzly release, VMware began contributing code to integrate vSphere with OpenStack; the code contribution has steadily increased both in quantity and in scope moving into Havana and continuing into the upcoming Icehouse release. His views are based on his experience working with VMware and their products and observing their involvement in the OpenStack community (he doesn’t work at Vmware nor has any special inside knowledge).
To allow for broader participation, we’ve scheduled post-Summit webinars with the Project Team Leads (PTLs) to provide the latest project updates rather than schedule these tracks during the Summit. Next scheduled events:
Tuesday, January 7, 2013
7 a.m. Pacific/10 a.m. Eastern
Project team leads: Mark Washenberger, Image Service (Glance); Julien Danjou, Telemetry (Ceilometer); John Griffith, Block Storage (Cinder)
Thursday, January 9, 2013
Noon Pacific/3 p.m. Eastern*
Project team leads: Steve Baker, Orchestration (Heat) and David Lyle, Dashboard (Horizon)
The recording of the session by Mark McClain, Networking (Neutron) and Dolph Mathews, Identity (Keystone) will be published as soon as possible.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Everett Toews: DevStack Havana on the Rackspace Cloud
- By Joe H. Rahme: Swift discoverable capabilities
- By Alessandro Pilotti: Windows authentication without passwords in OpenStack
- By Kenneth Hui: Installing The vSphere OpenStack Virtual Appliance (VOVA) On Your Laptop, Part 1 and Part 2
- By Kyle Mestery: Getting Started With OpenDaylight and OpenStack
- 3rd OpenStack User Group Nordics meetup Jan 15, 2014 – Stockholm, Sweden Details
- FOSDEM Feb 01 – 02, 2014 – Bruxelles, Belgium Details
Reports from previous events
Security Advisories and Notes
- Get Fedora 20 now!
- First week working on Marconi
- Open Mic Spotlight: Wang Pan
- OpenStack Project Technical Lead Interview Series #10: Sergey Lukjanov, OpenStack Savanna Project
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- How To Configure Network for Devstack on Ubuntu 12.04 in VMware Fusion
- Does havana VPNaaS support site-to-multi site connections
- Openstack not showing hypervisor and availability zones
- Using Tempest for testing only Keystone and Cinder
- Deploying WordPress_Single_Instance.template with Heat installs old openssl package
- How do I connect my OpenStack Grizzly cinder node to HP 3PAR 7200 without Domain License?
- How do I combine Active Directory and SQL authentication for Keystone?
- how to debug code flow of Neutron services using Eclipse Pydev Or Pdb
- Resizing Instances on NFS Shared Storage
- Devstack + Neutron + Floodlight – ProgrammingError: Table restproxy_neutron.agents does not exist
- What are the best practices for LXC Infiniband Plugins?
- How to properly configure veta nova-client?
- how to keep pipeline filters as directory in swift
- VPN-IKEPOLICY-CREATE fails in havana release
- heat stack create error:ERROR heat.engine.resource [-] CREATE : WaitCondition “WaitCondition”
- Different networking behaviour across VMs
Welcome New Reviewers and Developers
Is your affiliation correct? Check your profile in the OpenStack Foundation Members Database!
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Telemetry (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Hadoop Cluster as a Service (Savanna)
- Object Storage (Swift)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.