Sébastien Han explains why in his opinion CoreOS is an excellent operation system for your OpenStack controllers. Even if CoreOS is not mature enough to be put in production, the technology has a lot of advantages and features that are worth exploring.
Of all OpenStack projects, Object Storage (also known as Swift) has always been considered mature or, in other words, a place where new things rarely happen. The good news is that a lot of exciting things are happening in Swift, specifically around the community participation and growing ecosystem.
The tools for building and checking the OpenStack Documentation manuals has been improved with a few different options for fine-grained control. The new tools are run locally and as jenkins jobs allowing writers submitting a patch to get quickly an overview about what fails.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Andreas Jaeger: Easily read locally built OpenStack manuals
- By Raghavan Srinivas (Rackspace Blog): Implementing High Availability (HA) For Rackspace Private Cloud
- By Kenneth Hui: Deploying A HA OpenStack Cloud On Your Laptop
- By Adam Spiers: Easier upstreaming / back-porting of patch series with git
- By Adam Spiers: more uses for git notes, and hidden treasures in Gerrit
- By Loïc Dachary: Setting up an openstack-installer test environment
- OpenStack Core Online Forum, Oct 16 13:30 UTC, online conversation
- Swift Hackathon Oct 15 – 17, 2013 – Austin, TX Details
- LinuxCon/Cloud Open Europe Oct 21 – 23, 2013 – Edinburgh, Scotland, UK Details
- Cloud Connect Oct 21 – 17, 2013 – Chicago, IL, USA Details
- OpenStack Pune Meetup Oct 23, 2013 – Pune, India Details
- Frankfurt Meetup Oct 24, 2013 – Frankfurt, Germany Details
- Compute Midwest: The Convergence of Tech Oct 25 – 27, 2013 – Kansas City Details
- OpenStack Havana: So many changes, so little time, Oct 29, 2013, online webinar
- USENIX LISA Nov 03 – 08, 2013 – Washington DC, USA Details
- OpenStack User Group Meet-up: Cloud Technology Sharing by Technology Pioneer Nov 04, 2013 – Hong Kong Cyberport Details
- China & Hong Kong User Group Meeting Nov 04, 2013 – Hong Kong, China Details
- OpenStack Summit Nov 05 – 08, 2013 – Hong Kong, China Details
- OW2 Annual Conference Nov 13 – 14, 2013 – Paris, France Details
- INTEROP Nov 20 – 22, 2013 – Mumbai, India Details
- Gartner Data Center Conference Dec 09 – 12, 2013 – Las Vegas, NV, USA Details
- OpenStack Israel Dec 09, 2013 – Tel-Aviv, Israel Details
Reports from Previous Events
- OpenStack Networking w/ VMware – Theory Session, Part 1
- Event Report: OpenStack India Day, 2013
- OpenStack at the Grace Hopper Conference
- The Road to Hong Kong — OpenStack Summit Speakers #1: Load Balancing in OpenStack
- jclouds 1.6.2 released with support for OpenStack Trove
- Open Mic Spotlight: Armando Migliaccio
- OpenStack Project Technical Lead Interview Series #8: Michael Basnight, OpenStack Trove Project
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
Welcome New Developers
Is your affiliation correct? Check your profile in the OpenStack Foundation Members Database!
- Clare Springer, HP
- huangtianhua, Huawei
- Romain Hardouin, URSSAF
- Dave Cahill, Midokura
- Dan Reif, BlackMesh
- Pradeep Kumar Chandani, GlobalLogic
- Georgi Demirchev, Simplica LLC
- Trevor R Jr, Cisco
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- How to augment instance naming (and display) in Nova and remove the ability to specify a name?
- What do cpu_shares, cpu_period and cpu_quota represent in flavours customization?
- No ‘ceilometer.compute.virt’ driver found, looking for libvirt
- How to change the polling period of ceilometer?
- How to debug nova-dhcpbridge failing to propagate lease information?
- How to specify a serial/console pty in nova?
- How to setup NFS v4 on shared instance storage?
- Metering Data not getting populated on dashboard through ceilometer.
- Cannot create a port named gre-3 because a port named gre-3 already exists on bridge br-tun
- How can I extend nova metadata to alter the user data after VM’s boot?
- How to install heat on ubuntu 12.04?
- How to write data from VMs to Ceilometer database?
- Where can I find details about vlan and gre network types?
- What kind of policies can be created in keystone?
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.