Solum is a project designed to make cloud services easier to consume and integrate into your application development process. Solum begins as a shared vision, not a complete product. It’s a vision that a coalition of contributors believes in and wants to contribute to. For this to work, everything has to be designed and developed in the open from the very beginning. We’re taking the OpenStack commitment to core values of open development, open design and open community right to heart. Kudos to Rackspace, eBay, RedHat, Ubuntu/Canonical, dotCloud/Docker, Cloudsoft and Cumulogic for spearheading this effort.
Thierry Carrez played around with the ballots from the election of the Technical Committee. Since detailed ballot reporting was enabled in the past elections, it is possible to test alternative algorithms and run various analysis over the data set. As an official for this election, Thierry published his analysis of the results, hoping it will help in the current discussion on a potential evolution of the Foundation individual members voting system.
With Havana out in the wild, Sean Dague reviews the improvements made to the gating infrastructure during this release cycle. Beyond just increasing the number of tests we run, we made some changes in the nature of what we do in the gate. These changes are easy to overlook: Sean’s post gives a perspective in everything that’s going on behind the scenes when you try to land code in OpenStack.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Mirantis: How to Migrate an Instance with Zero Downtime: OpenStack Live Migration with KVM Hypervisor and NFS Shared Storage
- By Adam Young: Linking Launchpad and Bugzilla
- By The Official Rackspace Blog: High Availability (HA) With Galera For Rackspace Private Cloud
- By Jamie Lennox: Keystone Token Binding
- OpenStack-käyttäjäyhteisön tapaaminen Tampereella Oct 30, 2013 – Tampere, Finland Details
- OpenStack Havana: So many changes, so little time, Oct 29, 2013, online webinar
- USENIX LISA Nov 03 – 08, 2013 – Washington DC, USA Details
- OpenStack User Group Meet-up: Cloud Technology Sharing by Technology Pioneer Nov 04, 2013 – Hong Kong Cyberport Details
- China & Hong Kong User Group Meeting Nov 04, 2013 – Hong Kong, China Details
- OpenStack Summit Nov 05 – 08, 2013 – Hong Kong, China Details
- OpenStack Mini-Conference at OSI Days 2013 Nov 11, 2013 – Bangalore, India Details
- OW2 Annual Conference Nov 13 – 14, 2013 – Paris, France Details
- Openstack Hands on Lab Nov 19, 2013 – Philadelphia, PA Details
- INTEROP Nov 20 – 22, 2013 – Mumbai, India Details
- Openstack Hands on Lab Nov 20, 2013 – Rocky Hill, CT Details
- Openstack Hands on Lab Nov 21, 2013 – New York, NY Details
- OpenStack Pune Meetup Nov 23, 2013 – Pune, India Details
- OpenStack in action 4 Dec 05, 2013 – Paris, France Details
- Gartner Data Center Conference Dec 09 – 12, 2013 – Las Vegas, NV, USA Details
- OpenStack Israel Dec 09, 2013 – Tel-Aviv, Israel Details
Reports from Previous Events
- Create-Net visiting ICCLab 24/10/2013
- Swift Hackathon in Austin
- Cloud Connect Chicago: OpenStack Roundup
- Code Review for Sysadmins talk at BALUG
- We Are Making a Difference: OpenStack in China
- RDO Grizzly 2013.1.4 packages released
- A Game Changer for Cloud Storage Hardware Architectures
- OpenStack + Ceph on junk hardware and hazardous hosting
- Open Mic Spotlight: Alex Meade
- One week left for linux.conf.au 2014 OpenStack proposals
- BasicDB – API completeness
- Kinetic Motion with Seagate and OpenStack Swift
- Savanna 0.3 Targets Havana Release, Supports Elastic Data Processing
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
Welcome New Developers
Is your affiliation correct? Check your profile in the OpenStack Foundation Members Database!
- Ryan Brady, Red Hat
- Kev Bittner, Rackspace
- J M Jacob, Dell
- Chad Lung, Rackspace
- Sheldon Hearn, Sheldon Hearn
- Ignacio Barrio Santos, StackOps
- Dong Liu, Huawei Technologies Co, Ltd
- Denis Egorenko, Mirantis
- James Page, Canonical
- Chao Chin, (Missing email – fix profile)
- Vladik Romanovsky (Missing email – fix profile)
- Michael Davies, Rackspace
- James Carey, IBM
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- How to enable glance cache manage middleware in Grizzly?
- How to setup Havana with Neutron in a multi-node scenario?
- How can i integrate active directory in openstack using keystone ?
- How can I access usb in virtual machines?
- OS::Ceilometer::Alarm error
- The dashboard crash after attaching a volume to a instance
- How to create it separate access logs for each account in swift?
- The VM can not setup correct DNS server
- what is handoff node/device, where can I learn more about it?
- Implementing password policy for openstack users
- Mapping a raw disk to guest VM?
- How can I connect to the spice console with client e.g. spicy?
- How to add more Keystone instances and deal with PKI infrastructure?
- How to allow applications in VM instance to access OpenStack component API endpoint?
- What is the intended use for the different endpoint URL’s in keystone?
- How can I add attrib.py module for nose in tempest?
- Swift Object Expirer never delets items only sends 404
- one user’s ec2api credentials stopped working
- resume_guests_state_on_host_boot failes with libvirt error
- “Client disconnected on read” error
Latest Activity In Projects
Do you want to see at a glance the bugs filed and solved this week? Latest patches submitted for review? Check out the individual project pages on OpenStack Activity Board – Insights.
- Metering (Ceilometer)
- Block Storage (Cinder)
- Image Service (Glance)
- Orchestration API (Heat)
- Dashboard (Horizon)
- Bare Metal Provisioning (Ironic)
- Identity (Keystone)
- Networking (Neutron)
- Compute (Nova)
- Database As A Service (Trove)
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.