The latest OpenStack Object Storage Swift release 1.9.0 features full global clusters support, which allows to distribute one cluster over multiple, geographically dispersed sites, connected through a high-latency network. Mirantis published a brief introduction to how to use benchmarks to take full advantage of the new features.
Ceilometer is a monitoring tool for OpenStack cloud environments. In the next OpenStack release called Havana it will take part as a core component. However, Ceilometer is also available for the OpenStack releases Folsom and Grizzly. Currently Ceilometer offers only data of the OpenStack core components and the virtual machines of the cloud. For this reason the ICCLab decided to extend Ceilometer in a way that it is possible to collect data from hardware devices as well.
The forthcoming Havana (2013.2) release of OpenStack will mark the debut of orchestration as part of the official release. It arrives in the form of the Heat project, which kicked off in early 2012 and graduated from incubation into OpenStack-proper after the Havana Summit in March this year.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By Christian Berendt: Running Horizon with Gunicorn
- By eNovance: Role delegation in keystone: Trusts
- By Cloudify Engineering: How to Install Heat and DevStack on EC2
- By Oren Katz: Monitoring a distributed cloud
- By Terri Yu: Becoming a new contributor to open source through Outreach Program for Women and OpenStack
- By Terri Yu: How to install Devstack and Ceilometer on a Vagrant VM
- By John Bresnahan: RDO on Fedora 19
- By Alessandro Pilotti: Multi-node OpenStack RDO on RHEL and Hyper-V – Part 1
- Bangalore Meetup Aug 24, 2013 – Bangalore, India Details
- 2nd OpenStack User Group Nordics meetup Sep 11, 2013 – Kista, Stockholm Details
- OpenStack on Ales Sep 30 – Oct 01, 2013 – Bend, OR Details
- INTEROP Nov 20 – 22, 2013 – Mumbai, India Details
Reports from Previous Events
- Using legacy auth v1 with Keystone
- Open Mic Spotlight: Melanie Witt
- Open Mic Spotlight: Victoria Martínez de la Cruz
- Open Mic Spotlight: Dirk Müller
- OpenStack Ceilometer Havana-2 milestone released
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- live migration fails when a cinder volume is attached to a running instance – glusterFS
- whats the difference between Policies stored in policy.json and policies that can be created using openstack/identity/v3/policies
- Is sluggish performance caused by scheduler startup errors?
- Terms of support for x-glance-api-copy-from header in Glance API
- console url on a different domain
- heat Bad port format: port uuid is not in proper format
- Which deployment tool is good for openstack multinode HA deployment with Xenserver 6.2 and Ceph?
Welcome New Developers
Is your affiliation correct? Check your profile in the OpenStack Foundation Members Database!
- Yuiko Takada, NEC
- Rich Bowen, Red Hat
- Alejandro Cabrera, Rackspace