It can be as easy as it looks: step by step instructions by Sébastien Han.
In helping drive OpenStack’s “what is core” dialog, board member Rob Hirschfeld has reported a lot of viewpoints about what OpenStack is and what it should be. As a good steward of this process he has successfully managed to be an objective listener. In the recent post in the series, he expresses his point of view. This is one of the most important conversations for the OpenStack Foundation and it’s happening now.
OpenStack has the capability to define flavors of virtual machines, how many cores, swap, disk and memory. As a native UK English speaker, Tim Bell finds the term flavor to already be a problem. In his post describing how flavors are used at CERN he appeals to the OpenStack technical committee to not accept any term which is not the same in US and UK English or to allow an alias. His post has lots of other interesting information, too.
Tips ‘n Tricks
- By John Bresnahan: Download Modules In Nova
- By Marconi’s mongodb driver improvements
- By Emilien Macchi: Yet another way to monitor OpenStack
- By Steve Hardy: Heat Nested Resource Introspection
- By The Official Rackspace Blog: Architecting VMware vSphere For OpenStack
- By Christian Berendt: Using Redis with Horizon
- By Michael Still: Exploring a single database migration
- Openstack Bucharest Meeting Aug 12, 2013 – Bucharest, Romania Details
- Bangalore Meetup Aug 24, 2013 – Bangalore, India Details
- Primer Evento Grupo Venezolano OpenStack Aug 24, 2013 – Caracas, Venezuela Details
- 2nd OpenStack User Group Nordics meetup Sep 11, 2013 – Kista, Stockholm Details
- OpenStack on Ales Sep 30 – Oct 01, 2013 – Bend, OR Details
- Swift Hackathon Oct 15 – 17, 2013 – Aust, TX Details
- INTEROP Nov 20 – 22, 2013 – Mumbai, India Details
Reports from Previous Events
- HP Public Cloud OSCON Sessions – Videos
- Aug 6th OpenStack Foundation Board Meeting
- Google+ Hangout with Puppet Labs
- python-heatclient 0.2.4 released
- heat-cfntools 1.2.5 released
- python-novaclient 2.14.0 released
- Open Mic Spotlight: Brad Topol
- The Fanatical Faces Of Rackspace Private Cloud: Ryan Yard
- Marconi’s mongodb driver improvements
- OpenStack Project Technical Lead Interview Series #7: Gabriel Hurley, OpenStack Horizon Project
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs
- OpenStack Foundation Board official meeting minutes June 27 2013
- OpenStack Foundation Board meeting official summary and Mark McLoughlin’s notes
- Denial of Service using XML entities in Nova/Cinder extensions (CVE-2013-4179, CVE-2013-4202)
- Denial of Service in Nova network source security groups (CVE-2013-4185)
- Resource limit circumvention in Nova private flavors (CVE-2013-2256)
- Swift Denial of Service using superfluous object tombstones (CVE-2013-4155)
- Cinder LVM volume driver does not support secure deletion (CVE-2013-4183)
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- How Do I allow IP protocols other than TCP, UDP, or ICMP (such as GRE)through my security group?
- How should I use the VIF Isolation Rules with XenServer 6.2 and OpenStack?
- Adding Ubuntu Image to XenServer Powered Openstack filesystem already mounted
- What other steps should I take with networking after adding a compute node?
- glance-api failed to start up with latest devstack
Welcome New Developers
Is your affiliation correct? Check your profile in the OpenStack Foundation Members Database!
- Jing Sun, IBM
- Zhi kun Liu, IBM
- ZhiQiang Fan, None
- raiesmh08, ?
- Toni Zehnder, ZHAW ICCLab
- Yijing Zhang, None
- Roman Verchikov, Mirantis
- Noorul Islam K M, None
- Teran McKinney, Rackspace
- Mark Collier, OpenStack Foundation
- Deepti Navale, Red Hat
- Tracy Jones, VMware
- Joe H. Rahme, Enovance
The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.